The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Need to build confidence & shake fear (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/need-build-confidence-shake-fear-91198/)

RoxanneElizabeth 07-08-2011 05:59 PM

Need to build confidence & shake fear

Are their any books or dvds that have helped you a lot???

tinyliny 07-08-2011 06:24 PM

Hello RE,

I don't know about books regarding dealing with fear. Which, by the way, all equestriennes do. But a really nice book about riding in general is one called, "Centered Riding" by Sally Swift. It uses a lot of imagery to help you think about riding in other terms. Some people find this helpful, some do not. But, when one is afraid, I think it can be very helpful to have an interesting image or goal to focus on. Takes one's mind off of thinking about what might happen and brings one back into the immediate present , to thinking about such things as riding with "soft eyes" , or letting your legs reach down like the roots of a tree.

Check it out.

Dresden 07-08-2011 09:57 PM

I don't know of any books or DVD's. I am only 3 weeks out from a concussion from falling off a horse. I tried to ride 2 days after(against doctors recommendation lol) and I was so scared my feet literally shook out of the stirrups. I'm still timid and nervous but getting better every day.

What helped me the very most was just riding the dead broke plodding school horses at my barn. Just being able to control a horse that was well known for being good with really small kids helped me start to regain confidence and relax again. Time and riding are the best things to conquer the fear, imo.

I googled confidence building on horseback and loss of confidence after my first failed riding attempt and found several helpful articles.

serafina 07-08-2011 10:41 PM

+1 on Centered Riding. I give this book an A+. Maybe an A++++.

AlexS 07-08-2011 11:08 PM

I don't know of any books or DVDs, but there are other things you can do to regain your confidence. Go back to riding a really safe horse that you trust and do things that are easy to you.

RoxanneElizabeth 07-08-2011 11:41 PM

My gelding is super good, it is pretty much all me :) I ordered the book, thanks all!