The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Any Others Who Feel Blessed Like Me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/any-others-who-feel-blessed-like-9120/)

MoonlightEm 05-19-2008 07:36 PM

Any Others Who Feel Blessed Like Me?

So, like ya, anyone think that horse are sent to us to be their owners?

missy45690 05-19-2008 07:41 PM

i know that i have wanted a horse for as long as i can remember and it took me until i was 35 to get the second love of my life(my son being the first)
i love everything about her(except maybe her stuberness( i know i spelled that wrong, could someone please correct me on it :? )
and now she has giving me a new baby boy.
God i love her.
i feel very blessed everytime i go out and take a deep sniff of her neck.

HooverH 05-19-2008 10:09 PM

I think there was -something- out there...call it fate, that led me to Hoover.

He was a slaughter rescue, threw the previous adopter, at least 100 pounds underweight, low pasterns, and being abused by the extremely grouchy alpha mare in the field. He only had a small run in shelter for winter, barely enough for the three horses there. Every other horse he had lived with at the rescue had beat the crap out of him. I met him once, and couldn't leave him there.

You can say he's lucky to have me, but I'm just as lucky to have him. When he cuddles me with his head, everything that's bothering me disappears. When I get on his back, he looks at me like "okay, Mommy, I've got you. Everything'll be fine."

I don't think I could have bought an "undamaged" horse who would love me so much. It's like he knows he was given a second chance.

Emma7442 05-20-2008 04:52 AM

I always wanted to save a horse fro slaughter but sadly I didnt have the money to transport him into Christchurch or the experience of handling a nervous horse. :(

I am pleased with my beautiful big boy buy hopefully one day I will rescue a horse :)

Miss Katie 05-20-2008 05:03 AM

Im blessed with all my horses. We have a special bond.

There is a story behind how I got each of them.

ahearn 05-20-2008 09:10 AM

I most definitely think our higher power has sent them to us! But what confuses me is why would he send them to the bad people who abuse them? There's got to be some explanantion but I don't know what that is. Anyone?

Vidaloco 05-20-2008 09:25 AM

I think God or whatever you chose to call him/her, sends us what we need, not always what we want. Sometimes we need a challange to sure up our confidence. Other times we need to learn some lesson to make us a better person. Its up to us to heed the message and either take up the challange or learn the lesson.
Some chose not to listen. I think those are the ones that have no empathy or compassion for their animals. I feel we are here to learn something and love as much as we can. I sure wish everyone felt that way.
As far as horses, I feel that every horse I have owned has lead me to VIda. Each one had their special lesson to teach. I do feel blessed to have her :D
Is that being philosophical enough for ya? :lol:

ahearn 05-20-2008 09:40 AM

You hit the nail on the head Vida!! My brain couldn't wrap around it enough to write anything that would make sense! I like your philosophical moments! :wink:

kim_angel 05-20-2008 09:49 AM

Re: Any Others Who Feel Blessed Like Me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonlightEm
So, like ya, anyone think that horse are sent to us to be their owners?

I do.

When I was a kid my parents bought an American Cream Draft for us named Goldrush. He really took to my sister and they became best friends.

One day while she was riding him, I wandered into the "sale barn" where we boarded. And there I found a horribly ill, horribly skinny, on deaths doorstep QH mare. I brought her water and hay, cleaned out her wound (she had strangles and it was leaking out of a hole under her face) & brushed her. I did that every day for a few weeks while she recovered. Slowly her spirit came back to her and she would nicker when I walked into the barn. My sister was calling her Cocoa because she was a liver chestnut and looked like Hot Cocoa.

One night my sister and I arrived at the barn, she went to the sale barn before me and she came running out yelling "Kim! Something is wrong with Cocoa, come quick!" I ran to the barn and was trying to open the stall door (the latch always stuck) and I see a sign on the door - finally in my panic mode it sunk in what it said "Cocoa - Kim's New Horse" haha. My parents bought her for me and my sister tricked me to get me in the barn !!

The funny thing was - I never wanted a QH - I wanted a draft horse. I never wanted a brown horse - I stated that often... I wanted a Palamino. We bought a draft palamino horse (Goldrush) but the horse that was meant for me was a brown QH. :P

She and I became best friends. I nursed her back to health and back to a healthy weight. We have been together now for 24+ yrs. She is 30 yrs old and still my sweet girl. And.... she still nickers for me.

Cocoa taken yesterday:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cocoa51908.jpg

So there I never wanted a brown QH and yet the horse meant for me was just that.

Now to present day...
Last year my hubby and I bought 2 TN Walkers. He bonded with Cherokee (his horse) right away and you can really see it. They are meant to be together.

Angel and I have had our ups and downs. She was very difficult to get close to and was standoff-ish. She ran from me in the fields, gave me a hard time on the ground and I could just tell she didnt care for me. Although she was a great horse - a gorgeous horse - riding wise she was like floating on a cloud. But personality wise she and I just didnt click.

Due to the fact that she and I didnt gel & the fact that she was young and spirited, I decided to sell her. As much as I loved her, I knew that it was dangerous for me to ride her (I have a bad back from a broken spine) and since we didnt click, I couldnt keep her. All I did with her for months was brush her and do ground work. My husband was annoyed about paying 300.00 a month for a horse I wasnt riding. She sold on Friday this past week. I was very upset of course but knew it was for the best.

I resigned myself to the fact that I would never ride horses again because the Dr. warns me that any injury to my back now can cause me to be paralyzed.

BUT

I never listen.

On Sunday I went to a "speed show" to watch the barrel racing show. While there I found a 13 yr old Grey QH gelding who was for sale by the owners of the ranch. I absolutely fell in love with him. :shock:
I brushed him, rode him, hugged him & kisses his nose. hehe
He rides like a dream - very very calm, very slow, easy going.
Went back there last night to see him again and well, I bought him. :lol:

I know... I am not supposed to ride, but I totally feel safe and comfortable on him and with him.

Now I am waiting for the vet to come out and give him his shots and get a coggins.... so I can bring him to the place where we board our horses.

He used to be a parade horse/show horse - he was owned by a local man who goes around to parades and shows as a http://www.lonerangerfanclub.com/jr.html "Lone Ranger" tribute act. He sold him this past winter to the ranch because he found a pure white TN Walker (The original Lone Ranger had a white TWH). So now I own the former "Silver" lol

His name is Oby - I'd like to change his name but I am not sure.
(sorry the pic is crooked, I stuck it through the stall door and snapped it while not looking though the camera)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...orses/oby3.jpg

I think this horse was meant for me, the same way it happened with Cocoa. I didnt want another QH, I wanted a TWH if anything. I dont really like grey horses because they always look filthy. Yet there he was... and we just hit it off right from the start. :D

I know, I am nuts. :wink:[/url]

Vidaloco 05-20-2008 10:05 AM

What a great story Kim. I'm sorry Angel didn't work out but I'm sure you learned something from her.
Oby looks like a sweet boy, Hiyoo Oby Away! Enjoy him :D