The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   feeding from the ground (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-ground-9124/)

sempre_cantando 05-19-2008 08:59 PM

feeding from the ground

Some people recommend feeding horses their hay directly off the ground, but others say this will give them sand colic. I feed my horse out of a trough but as soon as I turn my back, she flicks it out and eats it off the ground anyway. So I tried feeding her from a hay bag... most of it falls on the ground and so she ends up eating off the ground again. What do you guys think? Is feeding hay off the ground ok?

appylover31803 05-19-2008 09:01 PM

It's healthier for a horse to eat off the ground. They can breathe better and the risk of something falling in their eye is less.

here's a great article about it.
http://www.todayshorse.com/Articles/...eedingHay.html

Micki O 05-19-2008 09:05 PM

I feed from a hay rack and a piece of plywood on the ground. Depending on thier moods my guys eat from both

cory-boy 05-19-2008 09:10 PM

Ihave a hay rack but they waste alot, then I got a round feeder and I could not keep cory out of it, now i throw on the ground but my sweet cory will pee on it every now and then. but I feed on the ground.

sempre_cantando 05-19-2008 09:10 PM

but do you think they can get sand colic from picking up dirt as they eat?

PoptartShop 05-19-2008 09:19 PM

:D I let Lexi eat off the ground. ;) When she's in her stall however she can choose which one she wants to eat from...usually she chooses the ground. :lol:

.A.j. 05-19-2008 10:36 PM

Sand colic due to feeding off of the ground has been the topic of a few articles I've read, and I asked my vet about it. He said there is a small risk and if it really worries you try adding metamucil to their feed. Not sure about the dosage, I think if there is a lot of sand in you paddock it would be worth asking your vet about it.

Vidaloco 05-19-2008 10:41 PM

I think you only have to worry about sand colic if you live someplace with sandy soil. In those cases they can get it from eating grass that is growing in sand. If you feed from the ground and there is no sand then no sand colic.
My round pen has sand in it. Theres no way I would feed them from the ground in it.

Sara 05-20-2008 09:14 AM

Yeah, I've never lived in a place where it was an issue. I did find this, but as I said, never had to deal with it:

"In addition, psyllium can be added to your horse’s diet as a supplement. Psyllium is a laxative that attracts water and forms a gel within the GI tract. This gel acts to agglutinate and entrap the sand, and ease its passage in the feces. Dry, pelleted psyllium can be fed at a dose of 1-2 cups per horse per day, for one week out of every month, for the prevention of sand colic."

ahearn 05-20-2008 09:24 AM

Sorry but I ONLY feed off the ground and always will. I had a horse almost die from sand colic because of this exact reason! Article or no article, I lived it!!