The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   I never thought I would say this....... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/i-never-thought-i-would-say-91256/)

MIEventer 07-09-2011 12:00 PM

I never thought I would say this.......

BUT, I'm buying an HDR. Yes, yes I am. I just got back from the barn, where Nelson and I had a saddle fit session with Classic Saddlery and I am in love.

This saddle is BEAUTIFUL, and to boot, it has the adjustable tree. It fits Nelson wonderfully, and it puts me in a great position, and I sit in the saddle just how I should - the best part of the whole thing, is the movement we got out of Nelson when I rode him in it. He naturally stretched down and rounded his back without me asking him to.

I can't wait to get it! I am sooo excited!!!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4057060_n.jpg

I take back what I've said about HDR's, I was wrong. I'm quite impressed with the quality, the comfortness, the tree shape, the width of the gullet channel, the rear panels are shaped perfectly for Nelson's back, the rear gullet channel is a 4 finger width - just the whole thing - I'm sold!

cakemom 07-09-2011 01:36 PM

Its beautiful!! Our trainer is a fan of some of the HDR line for her hard fitter OTTBs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ferhoodled 07-09-2011 02:00 PM

That's a gorgeous saddle. I love the stitching and finishing details. Congrats!

MIEventer 07-09-2011 02:12 PM

Nelson is an EXTREMELY hard to fit TB gelding - and when I say extreme, I mean frustrating. I've had 4 saddlers work with us, and every single one of them said that I would never find a saddle that fit him well, and I'd have to pad up to make the saddle fit, instead of vice versa...

Well, until today, I believed that. That HDR fit him wonderfully! I do not have to shim here and there, and fill in gaps and pockets like I thought I would have to. That HDR fit him so nicely with my half pad, I'm thrilled!

Of course, we have to use the wide adjustment on the tree because Nelson has broad shoulders and a broad back - that's why I am padding him up to fill in horse, but I am thrilled with the outcome!

The saddle is so comfortable as well, and made out of beautiful, soft, supple leather. When I sat in it, it put my weight on the front of the saddle instead of the rear, and it put me in a great position for XC, I was smiling! It has front and rear blocks, nice forward flaps that accomodate my long legs, and I fit in it like I did my Harry Dabbs - snug as a bug in a rug.

I haven't stopped talking about it! I'm super exctatic!

TheLastUnicorn 07-09-2011 02:21 PM

Congrats! I am so excited for you!

Carleen 07-09-2011 03:38 PM

Congrats lady! Looks like a nice saddle!

MIEventer 07-09-2011 04:22 PM

Thanks TLU and Carleen! It is a super nice saddle! I can't wait to get it. I am making payments on it, but as soon as I get it to the barn, I'll take a tons of pics :)

DejaVu 07-09-2011 07:42 PM

I have a Nice saddle. Nice is what is now HDR ( or hdr bought them out, or something like that....)
Its quite old, but I love it. Ive heard bad things about the new HDR's, so its nice to hear something good about them.

Sadly, my horse outgrew it, so I have a M. Toulouse on my way.
Glad you love your HDR so much!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jessskater 07-09-2011 09:01 PM

Gorgeous saddle :-)

kitten_Val 07-09-2011 11:59 PM

MIE, when I was looking for jumping saddle in Spring I did look at HDR in Dover (they had just one model). And I have to say it did look nice and the leather seemed to be a good quality. It was also an obviously bad fit for my horse, so I didn't even try, but I really liked it. I think it all depends on model of HDR.