The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Tack and Equipment Classifieds (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/)
-   -   Payment Options Question (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/payment-options-question-91264/)

Ferhoodled 07-09-2011 04:13 PM

Payment Options Question

[Hopefully this is in the correct forum. It relates to the classifieds but isn't an actual ad.]

I have some breeches and such sitting around that I would like to sell. Clear out the closet, pick up some extra cash - sounds like a good deal.

I noticed that the little blurb at the top of the page recommends using PayPal, but is this the best option? I'm a little wary of it because I've read about quite a few bad experiences (e.g., PayPal puts a hold/freeze on the account for no reason, isn't upfront about issues, can pull things banks can't because they're not held to the same standards).

If I just need to make a few personal transactions, what are my options? Does anyone know of a better alternative, or do you think I'd be ok sticking with PayPal? I'd love to get this stuff off my hands, but I don't want to end up in the middle of a fiasco.

tblver 07-10-2011 01:17 AM

I am one of those 'bad experience with paypal' people haha! Well not exactly bad....I have sold quite a few things on Ebay, and so I was elibigle to get the Paypal card....nice right? Well someone stole my card info, and ran up 600+ dollars at the Hard Rock Hotel in Biloxi. I managed to get the charges reversed so I wasn't financially responsible, but they put a permanant hold on my account....oh, sorry 'indefinite' until they could determine my account was no longer at risk. Its been 6 months now and I still can't do anything with my account.

But anyway, it really is the safest route, next to a USPS money order. The money orders take longer too, but the postal service insures them if they are lost or stolen, which is much safer than sending a check in the mail. Of course if you advertise on Craigslist locally, cash is the easiest route.

dustycowgirl81 07-11-2011 02:30 AM

Ive aways and normally only use paypal. Fast payment. Ive had issues with ebay and paypal but its due to ebay. Paypals never caused any issues by itself. I swear by it.

tinyliny 07-11-2011 03:55 AM

Never had issues with Paypal.

WickedNag 07-11-2011 08:52 AM

I would only purchase if the seller accepted paypal. If you don't send I don't want to eat the loss no matter how small it may be.

Alwaysbehind 07-11-2011 10:10 AM

I no longer have a paypal account. They were very unreasonable when I wanted to change my name when I got married. They expected me to mail them my original marriage license (they said they would send it right back, no copies accepted, etc).

Um. No.

I have not used paypal since then. Shortly after that I closed the bank account that was associated with my paypal account for other reasons.

The safest thing to do is to open an account at the bank that is ONLY for paypal transactions. That way if something goes wrong they will not be messing with your main bank account.

deserteventer 07-13-2011 02:52 PM

I used paypal until they starting tacking on their fee's, now it's just postal money order

ShannonSevenfold 07-13-2011 09:50 PM

I've never had an issue with Paypal, but it does make me nervous. Next to Paypal, a money order is your best option. Or cash if your selling locally.

Ferhoodled 07-18-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1092520)
The safest thing to do is to open an account at the bank that is ONLY for paypal transactions. That way if something goes wrong they will not be messing with your main bank account.

That's a good thought, though I'd have to see if the bank would slap more fees on it.

Thanks everyone... I guess I probably will just suck it up and use paypal.

reiningfan 07-18-2011 07:14 PM

^I do the same thing. I have one account that is only for PayPal purchases. If they have a screw up, they can't take more than what I have in there. I have a friend who had PayPal take double payment out for several purchases in a row. When she asked for the money back, they took forever. With a separate account, I just transfer the amount I want in there from my main account and send my payment.