The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Concussion and gaited horse (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/concussion-gaited-horse-91290/)

Macslady 07-09-2011 08:11 PM

Concussion and gaited horse

About 3 years ago I had an accident with a horse I had and the doctor said I had a mild concussion. About 6 months ago I had my horse go one way and I went another after flushing a quail. Now I am finding that when I ride my guy that at night if I have to get out of bed or move to fast I get that same feeling all over as when I had the first concussion. It doesn't do it when I ride my QH. Is it possibly the back and forth movement from my Rocky that I don't get from my QH. His trot doesn't bother me either, so could it be the way a gaited horse moves????

Hoping someone on here that understands horse mechanics can help explain.

Celeste 07-09-2011 08:45 PM

Have you been checked out by a neurologist to be sure that you are ok?
I could see how the rocking gait could turn on a dizzy feeling that was hiding under the surface.

Macslady 07-09-2011 09:22 PM

Yes, I am ok, I just think it's so odd that I can ride my quarterhorse and be ok, yet ride my rocky and get this.

tinyliny 07-09-2011 09:46 PM

I dunno, but I can say that when I went on a cruise to Alaska, the very slow ponderous rocking of the huge cruise ship really got to my inner ear. When I got back, every time I rode, afterward, when I was actually stationary, I would have vertigo. Did go away, eventually.

Sometime vertigo can be cause by crystals in the ear canal . Serious. It can come on pretty suddenly and doctors know ways to "bump" your ear to dislodge the crystal. It stops like magic.

Macslady 07-09-2011 10:26 PM

Hmmm, never thought of something like that. Maybe will have to give my ear doctor a call.