The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Riding Boot Camp (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/riding-boot-camp-91334/)

kathryn 07-10-2011 12:31 PM

Riding Boot Camp

Hi! So I am on summer from college right now, where I was on the Equestrian Team, but that didn't end up being as helpful to my riding as I hoped. So when I came back to my barn this summer, I started noticing how out of shape and rusty I was.

I have started 2 lessons a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, and this week coming up, from the 13th through the 18th, one of my friends is going out of town, and she asked me to ride Bailey while she was out of town. I rode Bailey my whole senior year of high school, and we even did some on-farm shows and did pretty well. But Bailey isn't a show horse, he is much more of a pet. He can do everything you ask, but with no polish.

So what I was thinking was using this week with Bailey as sort of a boot camp for me to get back into shape. This will all focus entirely on me.

Do you have any ideas for what I can do to really push myself and make myself better this week? The 13th is a Wednesday, so I have my lesson Tuesday, so I can learn what to work on, and then I will have a few days before my second lesson on Friday. Then I will still have a few more days before his owner gets back.

I was thinking lots of stirrupless work, maybe lots of circles and serpentines. What other exercises can you guys think of for me to incorporate?

AislingxXx1234 07-11-2011 12:36 PM

Lots of transitions and figures and tons of no stirrups work. Take your stirrups off your saddle completely and only put them back on when in lessons. I did that for 3 months, riding 2-5 horses a day and boy, I'm glad I did! And lot's of posting trot without your stirrups! If you are willing to try and get btter and push yourself, you will improve lots! Have fun ;) and I hope you get better...you already have the right idea and the ambition so it should gt you into shape! :D