The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sever injuries! Wont let me treat back legs! HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sever-injuries-wont-let-me-treat-91357/)

mysticalhorse 07-10-2011 04:19 PM

Sever injuries! Wont let me treat back legs! HELP!

So my 3yr old Arabian x Morgan mare kicked through the fence & ended up with her rear stuck on one side and her front on the other! Thankfully the fencing shoved down so she was able to get out. In the process she took out her front knee all the way to the joint/bone with her own hoof! So our wonderful vet came straight out 2 sleepy shots, 1 tetnus booster, bute shot, & a twitch she got washed, shaved & treated.

The horrible injury to her front leg is wrapped but all the other cuts & contunesions (sp?) I need to treat. She will allow me to do everything but her legs from the hock down.
Now she is a greenbean filly that wouldnt even take a halter when we got her. I have brought her far in the last 3months but this injury has set us back!

How do I get her to let me clean & treat her legs? She was to the point of a major melt down this morning so I left off and treated the rest of her upper injuries.

One more thing....this is the first time she has ever been hurt, she is wigged about everything.

Thank you to any and all help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 07-10-2011 04:36 PM

Maybe speak to the vet to give you some sedation for her?

Endiku 07-10-2011 04:41 PM

in this kind os situation, its hard. I, also have had to deal with greenies that need medical attention, and its tough! One thing that has worked for me a few times (especially on food oriented horses ^^) is getting a bucket of feed a trying to treat them while they're eating. You could ask the veterinarian about self-done ace shots which would sedate her for 10-20 minutes in order to clean her cuts every two days or so (depending on severity, ofcourse)

good luck and be safe! A hurt horse is a dangerous horse.

tblver 07-10-2011 04:44 PM

I agree, sedation, and if thats not an option it might be time for some hard tying to a tree or other sturdy post, and just keep touching her and bothering her till she's okay with it.

My gelding scraped up his back leg once pretty bad and I had to clean the scrape out before dressing it....that was pretty ouchy. The next day, he was hesitant to let me touch it, so I just kept following him till he had nowhere to go or turn, and then put on the completely painless triple antibiotic. After that, he was fine.

mysticalhorse 07-10-2011 04:58 PM

I did carrot sticks this morn everytime she allowed me to put it on but my hands stunk from the topical meds and she didnt want them. But I may just use a bucket of feed and let her have bites between boo boos.

Yeah she is resistant to sedation....it took 2 large shots and then it only lasted 20 minutes. The vet was joking that she really like his drugs, lol!

I am also thinking about switching to a spray because she handles those much better. But then I have to wash the topical off. So frustrating!
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 07-10-2011 05:15 PM

Depending on how bad the wounds are another option is to use Underwoods because you don't have to wash it off and it is sprayed on you can usually get the job done. I used it for a while on a horse who was antisocial at the best of times, and downright evil when hurt!

mysticalhorse 07-10-2011 05:35 PM

I am current using Underwood on my Yearling but I dont see Spyder allowing the baking powder to sprinkle on.... Can I use the spray without the baking powder?

Side note: are you in Oklahoma golden horse?
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 07-10-2011 05:41 PM

LOL, I bought a pack of three sauce containers from the dollar store, like these https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L...Picture+33.jpg

Fill it with the baking powder then you can puff it on from a safe distance.

Nope not in Oklahoma, I'm up here in the frozen north in Canada

mysticalhorse 07-10-2011 05:55 PM

Wow! Underwood is made here in Oklahoma! I have an empty mustard bottle! Perfect!
Posted via Mobile Device

mysticalhorse 07-10-2011 05:57 PM

I was using an empty spice shaker but I wasted more that way.
Posted via Mobile Device