The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Anyone Ever Used This Supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/anyone-ever-used-supplement-91365/)

CharliGirl 07-10-2011 05:53 PM

Anyone Ever Used This Supplement?

I am looking into weight gain supplements for Kubie, my elderly appaloosa gelding. I came across a product called "Ration Plus." Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Ration Plus S E Monroe (Equine - Supplements - Digestive - Probiotics)

Ration Plus for Dogs & Horses - For Horse Diarrhea and Horse Digestive Problems

Also, my farrier recommended feeding him joint and weight supplements. Is it safe to feed more than one supplement? I was thinking of feeding an MSM joint supplement along with a weight supplement. I'm going to ask my vet about this when he comes out next, but I thought I would ask here as well.

Freda 07-10-2011 06:47 PM

I never used that particular supplement, I have used Focus Weight, worked well. If you want a premium multi supplement check into Platinum Performance, it is a bit pricey but worth every penny. I was using several supplements at one time, just have to watch out for overlapping ingredients, especially Selinium. You can also put corn oil in his grain or over his hay, add some apple sause. Go to your local grocer and work a deal with them to let you have the left over (old) produce. They just throw it away anyway, give all that to your horse he will eat. Our horses will eat mellons, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettus, ect ect. They stay fat and fluffy and love the treats. But if you want a supplement, PP is the one I recommend, there are cheaper ones, or you can go with several individual ones, but be very careful on those overlapping ingredients. Don't want to poison your baby. Hoped it helped.

bjgiff13 07-10-2011 11:45 PM

I'm new to the board and didn't come across your thread until after I had started this thread:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...y-cubes-91391/

The Purina Senior Feed and soaked hay cubes done wonders for adding weight in a big hurry.

Now that we have the horse turned around, we have backed off the pounds per day of senior feed.

CharliGirl 07-11-2011 08:24 AM

Thanks for the advice! Kubie is currently on 4 1/2 lbs of Nutrena Sr Feed and 5 lbs of soaked alfalfa cubes twice daily. He is regularly wormed and gets his teeth floated, but needs a little something extra to put on more weight.

He is currently on Focus Sr, which I read was good, but I'm not seeing any difference in him (he has been on it since early June). Maybe I should give him more time?

Freda 07-11-2011 03:06 PM

Senior horses can be hard to keep weight on, it can be frustrating. You can still add calories with the corn oil, its basically tasteless and won't hurt them. We use it in the winter months for a calorie boost. !/2 cup a day over his soaked alfalfa. If his poop gets runny looking, back off it. We used alfalfa pellets and soak them in hot water, don't want to do that in warm weather though. Our vet is the one that recommended the corn oil. Talk to your vet.