The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   saddle reviews for Thornhill ViennaII and Heratige custom Dressage saddles needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-reviews-thornhill-viennaii-heratige-custom-91534/)

WildAcreFarms 07-12-2011 01:48 AM

saddle reviews for Thornhill ViennaII and Heratige custom Dressage saddles needed

Hey guys I'm looking for a new dressage saddle on a budget. My budget is around 1000. I'm currently looking at the Vienna II Thornhill by Jorge Canaves and the Dressage Event Mono flap by Heratige. All things being equal (which they never are) the Vienna II is 800 plus 35.00 shipping and they take wither tracing to insure fit. that saddle is supposed to be trade able if for some reason it does not fit for another model or size. I will be riding 2 different horses a TB and a WB/TB cross with the saddle hopefully.... Hoping i can get one saddle that fits both horses they are similar built. the Heritage dressage saddle takes about a month costs 1100. plus 200 for shipping from England. every thing i have read about this saddle company is great but the knee blocks look kind of big to me. I'm new to dressage so is that a good thing?? in the past i had problems keeping my legs far enough back but that might have been due to the saddle somewhat. i was riding in a forward seat jumping saddle. the Heritage is a totally custom made saddle that is supposed to be really really nice but it's close to twice as much to buy. still a cheap price compared to Passier or Stubben. but will i have a hard time getting any $$ back out of a custom fit saddle? if it's fit to my horse/horses and my butt will i ever be able to sell if if i want to or need to?
I never see either one of these saddles for sale used and i don't know if that means ppl love them and never what to sell them or there aren't a lot of them out there for resale.

Thoughts??

Is anyone on here riding or has ridden in either of theses saddles? If you have experience with either of these I'd love to hear from you.

Also if you know another great dressage saddle that is in my price range and makes a 19" size by all means let me know :)
thanks,
ANGI

kitten_Val 07-12-2011 06:57 AM

I did comment about Vienna in your thread in dressage, so just want to add couple words about custom. From my experience (talking to the consignment tack stores owners) it's harder to sell custom just because of it - its custom.

WildAcreFarms 07-13-2011 01:40 AM

i was totally worried about that

I think I'm going to go with the Vienna i had already decided to get that one when i saw the thing on heritage and thought WOW that is a super nice saddle and everyone gives them top reviews..... there was one really bad review i read on the Vienna II (which scared me a little) but every thing else was good. the Mfg claimed that they were longing the hoses from the saddle D rings and that it tore up the saddle and that was the problem ( not as the buyer claimed that the saddle was Made with uneven panels and flaps) but still they fixed it for free and resold it for the girl so that was nice.

I'm really nervous about uneven saddles as i have a cheap Argentine saddle that is uneven somewhere.... I can't see it by looking but you can NEVER find your balance in this saddle. it always feels like the stirrup leathers are uneven and I've tried everything counting the number holes, measuring adjusting them to "feel" even but nothing i can do works there is something inherently WRONG with that saddle.

but I'm sure there is a big difference in a saddle that you spend a few hundred on and one that's 800 I'm hoping so :)

thanks for your input i really do appreciate it. it's a big decision and even tho 800 may not be alot to some ppl it s a LOT to me :)
thanks,
Angi

kitten_Val 07-13-2011 12:18 PM

Angi, could you work with the store that allows returns? This way you could take it on trial, so if it's a bad fit or you don't like it you could just return. I know shipping etc. is costly, but it may be cheaper than getting one just to find out it doesn't fit (I had to sell my saddle: got it and it was a bad fit, I lost quite a lot of money on it :( ).

WildAcreFarms 07-13-2011 01:26 PM

I know that the place allows exchanges on the Thornhill saddles they don't do refunds but they say that you can exchange the saddle and i think i saw that they can arrange the wool panels for a perfect fit (supposedly).

Are you talking about the Vienna II that was a bad for or another saddle?

do you know anyplace that sells the Thornhill saddles that allows returns if it does not fit. i TOTALLY agree that even with shipping you could spend a lot with a saddle that does not fit and having to sell a new saddle as used basically. I went thorough 5 saddles trying to get one to fit my short backed arab and spent around 300 each which is 1500 i should have bought a new one instead of having to buy all those saddles.
I will look online and see if there is any place selling them that will let you do a return if it does not fit. that's a really smart idea. i was going to go with this one place cause they are100 cheaper but it's not cheaper if you gotta resell it and take a loss right.... thanks for the tip ;)

kitten_Val 07-13-2011 01:41 PM

I got mine from SADDLES | Maryland Tack, Inc. . He let me borrow 4 or 5 saddles at time to try with the fitter. :D However he's my local, still worth a call I'd think. This is another place I kept eye on: UsedSaddles.com's *NEW* Website

WildAcreFarms 07-13-2011 02:19 PM

thanks very much kitten_Val i will totally check them out. there are no local tack stores around here that sell English tack. everyplace has only western. i'm the only person that i currently know in the area that even rides english all the "cowboys" laugh at me in my English saddles and say stuff like "Around here we ride Western pleasure" well I do what i want and i don't give a flip what they think about the saddle i ride in :) LOL

PS I LOVE your signature "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain" how true how true.

kitten_Val 07-13-2011 05:53 PM

Thank you! :)

Good luck finding the one for better price and a good fit!