The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Unexpected colt death. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/unexpected-colt-death-9154/)

boonesar 05-20-2008 04:20 PM

Unexpected colt death.

I was shocked this morning while looking for our mini horses halter in the field I came upon a dead baby colt. I didn't know anyone was pregnant. We have to gelded reg. horses and a new mini mare we gave our daughters for christmas. I had asked at the auction if she had ever been breed in the past they said never while they owned her. I had no idea she was pregnant. I just thought she was a little fat but a lot of small ponies are. If i had known I would have stalled her or took a look after her. I had no idea. I had just moved them into a new field with tall grass on Thursday afternoon. I noticed something this weekend that looked like an animal in the field but I assumed it was a common ground hog poking it head up. I am sure the colt had never been standing. Is there something I could have done. Did it probably have something wrong with it. It seemed quite large like 3 feet long. I have always had geldings and have never experienced a horse birth. Is a person always present during the births. I feel so bad not being there to have helped. I just didn't know.

JustDressageIt 05-20-2008 05:05 PM

I'm so sorry you lost a foal. Sometimes foals just don't make it... could be one of a million things. Chances are you couldn't have done anything, or if you could, it would have been expensive. Most mares foal without problems, whether you're there or not, so if there's a problem then it's pretty major.
Don't beat yourself up about it!! It happens.

PoptartShop 05-20-2008 05:22 PM

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that. :( It's not your fault, things happen.

kickshaw 05-20-2008 05:37 PM

(((Hugs))) - not your fault!

As stated before, sometimes these things just happen. Keep your chin up!

irisheyes12 05-20-2008 06:32 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm sure there was nothing you could have done.

amightytarzan5 05-20-2008 08:17 PM

Aww. That's always sad. I'm sorry about your loss. One of my aunt's friend's horses recently had a colt when she didn't know the mare was pregnant. It happens. I'm sure the momma's coping.

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-20-2008 11:21 PM

sorry for the loss. and no. you couldn't have helped anything. don't beat yourself up about it. :wink:

americancowgurl31391 05-21-2008 12:02 AM

aww...so sry for your loss. My aunt's friend actually rescued a 3-year-old mustang from auction and at that age who would expect it to be pregnant since it was only a baby itself. Well a few mornings after they had the mare, she walked outside and there was a new baby. It died later that day and then the mother died that night at the age of 3. I can almost guarantee you that there was nothing you could've done. Mares deliver healthy foals all the time so there most likely was nothing you could've done. There probably was something already wrong with the foal or it was never alive inside of her and that could be why she was only a little fat.

buckaroo2010 05-21-2008 10:15 PM

awww im sorry sorry to hear about that :(

misita 05-29-2008 08:57 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too lost a 2 week old filly this year to joint ill. It's just heart breaking.

Godspeed little babies :cry:

Chris
www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net