The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Will Parelli calm him down? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/will-parelli-calm-him-down-91550/)

xxEmilyxx 07-12-2011 10:33 AM

Will Parelli calm him down?

I recently got an old Parelli cassette from my old trainer...I haven't watched it yet because our VHS player needs to be cleaned. But anyway, if you've used Parelli, does it...calm them down at all? My thoroughbred gelding is very high strung. I can hardly keep him in the crossties for more than 5 minutes without him getting antsy and kicking over all the bottles and grooming supplies. I also can't get in a 20 foot radius of him with a whip. He is terrified of them.

He hates staying in one place for any amount of time. All he wants to do is gallop, gallop, gallop! So I have him on a natural sedative (I don't think that is the right word, but I'm going blank right now.) when I ride, because otherwise he will bolt and start a bucking frenzy. It just calms him down...it's called "Ace" I think. But I'd like to be able to ride him without it...

Equilove 07-12-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxEmilyxx (Post 1094029)
I recently got an old Parelli cassette from my old trainer...I haven't watched it yet because our VHS player needs to be cleaned. But anyway, if you've used Parelli, does it...calm them down at all? My thoroughbred gelding is very high strung. I can hardly keep him in the crossties for more than 5 minutes without him getting antsy and kicking over all the bottles and grooming supplies. I also can't get in a 20 foot radius of him with a whip. He is terrified of them.

He hates staying in one place for any amount of time. All he wants to do is gallop, gallop, gallop! So I have him on a natural sedative (I don't think that is the right word, but I'm going blank right now.) when I ride, because otherwise he will bolt and start a bucking frenzy. It just calms him down...it's called "Ace" I think. But I'd like to be able to ride him without it...

The question isn't whether PARELLI will calm him down, it's whether his METHODS as interpreted by YOU will calm him down. Ultimately, you will need more than just a cassette tape to correct what seems to be a dangerous problem. Maybe if you bring Parelli down in the flesh, he can calm your horse down (maybe). Watch the videos, learn what you can, but your horse may learn differently than the horse in the videos. It's best to observe lots of trainers, as opposed to strictly following one.

JustDressageIt 07-12-2011 10:45 AM

Please, please, please do not ride while your horse is Aced. You won't accomplish anything while he's on it (if you've ever been sedated, you know that memory retention goes out the door) and you're putting yourself in danger; again if you've ever been sedated, you've been told not to operate machinery - there's a reason for that. Your coordination and reaction times get lethargic, and you are a danger to those around you.
Please, do NOT ride your horse on Ace.

On to your training problems: Parelli might work, it may not. Personally I am not a fan of Parelli, I think it's over-rated. You need to work with a trainer that is right there with you, correcting you immediately and praising you immediately. DVDs won't do that; you have no idea if you're doing something wrong till you post the video for others to see, then you've done something wrong, haven't corrected it, and you will be guessing at it next time.
No, IMO you need someone right there to help you. I want you to find a reputable trainer in your area and work with them on these issues - a good trainer will pay attention to your crosstie concerns as well as the issues under saddle. If a "trainer" is ok with you using Ace, run the other way.
Posted via Mobile Device

xxEmilyxx 07-12-2011 02:40 PM

Oh okay. Thanks guys. And JustDressageIt, my vet advised the Ace...He doesn't seem out of it or anything, he just is a bit calmer.

Equilove 07-12-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxEmilyxx (Post 1094348)
Oh okay. Thanks guys. And JustDressageIt, my vet advised the Ace...He doesn't seem out of it or anything, he just is a bit calmer.

Did your vet use it so they couldn't handle him properly for vaccinations/checkups? I couldn't imagine a vet recommending ACE for riding/training...

xxEmilyxx 07-12-2011 02:54 PM

No...he said to give him 3cc in his feed before I ride.

Equilove 07-12-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxEmilyxx (Post 1094359)

Interesting...:shock:

JustDressageIt 07-12-2011 04:17 PM

I'd consider dropping that vet then too. Yikes is right. Its a sedative, there are quite a few comments on this board regarding its use while riding. The bottom line is: don't do it. The horse doesn't learn anything on it, its a major crutch, and creates a dangerous riding situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 07-12-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxEmilyxx (Post 1094359)

Seriously?
Wow.
:shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 07-13-2011 07:52 AM

Do not know your horse history. Is this horse coming back from an injury?

In those situations, I think riding (light hacking obviously, not training rides) on Ace is completely acceptable.