The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle bag recommendations? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-bag-recommendations-91551/)

DraftyAiresMum 07-12-2011 10:44 AM

English saddle bag recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for saddle bags for an English saddle? Can I just use regular Western cantle bags? I found one that I like the looks of, but what do you guys think?

BLACK English Saddle Nylon Saddle Bags w/ Water Bottles | eBay

Any other suggestions?

Speed Racer 07-12-2011 10:58 AM

Are you aware they make English saddle pads that have pockets? Those would be good for trail riding, too.

DraftyAiresMum 07-12-2011 11:24 AM

I am aware of that and I REALLY want one, but I can't seem to find one under $60 and I don't have that much to spend right now. The thing I liked about the saddlebags I linked to is that they have holders for water bottles. I've seen the pads you're talking about and those pockets aren't really big enough to hold a water bottle (or if they are, that's about all they can hold).

FreeDestiny 07-12-2011 11:26 AM

If you have a Greenhawk in your area, they sell saddle pads with pockets that can hold a lot, but probably less than saddle bags, but for much less than 60$ if I remember correctly :)
Posted via Mobile Device

LetAGrlShowU 07-12-2011 12:06 PM

I purchased an english saddle pad with pockets off ebay. Wasnt name brand or anything, but its a good pad and holds 2 water bottles plus keys phone- though i like to keep my phone on me.

Dressage Horse Saddle Pad With Pockets Gold RopeTrim GR | eBay

pocket saddle pad | eBay

Dressage Horse Saddle Pad With Pockets Gold RopeTrim NY | eBay

SEAmom 07-12-2011 12:15 PM

Out of the stuff posted so far, I like your original find better. They also make ones that clip to your d-rings on the front, but I'm on my phone so I can't link to anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 07-13-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1094133)
I purchased an english saddle pad with pockets off ebay. Wasnt name brand or anything, but its a good pad and holds 2 water bottles plus keys phone- though i like to keep my phone on me.

Dressage Horse Saddle Pad With Pockets Gold RopeTrim GR | eBay

pocket saddle pad | eBay

Dressage Horse Saddle Pad With Pockets Gold RopeTrim NY | eBay

Okay, HOW did I miss those on eBay?!

I hear ya about the phone thing...our BO is ADAMANT about carrying your phone ON YOU when you go on a trail ride. His reasoning? "What if you lose your horse?" Can't beat good ole cowboy logic! :wink: