The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Fake Tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/fake-tail-91565/)

SaratogaTB 07-12-2011 11:52 AM

Fake Tail

Can someone recommend a company that makes high quality tail "enhancements"?

Also, can someone explain how they are attached? Does a professional attach them like a weave?

farmpony84 07-12-2011 11:55 AM

What color are you looking for? I got mine from Schneiders. It was fairly affordable as well. They are pretty simple to attache. You just braid them in to the tail depending on the design. Some take several braids while others take just one.

They are only meant to be used at show, You don't leave them in all the time. You put them in that morning and take them out that night...

SaratogaTB 07-12-2011 12:16 PM

He is liver chestnut. A sorrel tail would work.

farmpony84 07-12-2011 12:32 PM

Schneiders, ebay, rods... trying to think where else I've seen them. You can get some pretty fancy ones. I'm geussing you want a "hunter tail". They have the more natural look in the back rather then the blunt cut. Wraps are really nice but they take a two people at least to braid them in. Mine is a ball with a tie. You just braid one simple braid and then tie it in....

waresbear 07-12-2011 01:23 PM

I bought one from Tails by Kathy, came with instructions that look pretty easy to attach. I purchased it 2 years ago & haven't used it, my horse has a nice tail naturally, but this would bump it up a notch. One of these days I will practice attaching it & actually use it at a show. How often do you wash yours farmpony?

rlcarnes 07-12-2011 01:53 PM

Make sure you get a tail in the proper poundage. They come in i think 1/2, 1 and 2 pound. The 2 pounders are like those that western horses wear that look like 5 tails in one. I personally do not like fake tails but to each his own :) Get one that will compliment your horse naturally- if he is a smaller and kind of not hairy horse (mane and tail wise) get a smaller weight tail.

SaratogaTB 07-12-2011 01:55 PM

Great advice! My OTTB has the most scrawny tail you have ever seen! I spent the winter massaging MTG into his tail bone hoping it would grow more. With good nutrition and training, he looks like a different horse, but his tail remains sad. I would just love a little something extra for the hunter classes!:?

I will go with the lowest poundage available.

farmpony84 07-12-2011 02:25 PM

I wash mine after I use it and I only use it for shows so about once a month.

I have a half pound tail I think? It might be a pound.

Allison Finch 07-12-2011 02:30 PM

OK, remember that when you get his tail "done" we expect a before and after photos!!

farmpony84 07-12-2011 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In this picture we are utterly and completely blowing our horsemanship class, but you can see my tail....and then just to show you can use it for both, a picture of use blowing our english class!