The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Normal price of a harness? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/normal-price-harness-91602/)

ridergirl23 07-12-2011 05:56 PM

Normal price of a harness?

I am not familiar with minis OR driving, so I need mini experts help!!!! Heres all my questions...

How much does a mini harness usually cost?
What do you recommend, leather, nylon, byothane... or any others?
Are there any brands/websites you recommend?
I would like to have a double cart, so they could both pull and i wouldnt feel so bad for making one pull me, lol, can i just buy two single harnesses and attach them to a 'double' cart? Or do I have to buy a 'double' harness? If so, would you please be able to answer all the questions above with a double harness?

Thanks so much to anyone who helps! They are not trained to drive so should i just get 2 single harnesses? A trainer is coming to give a groundwork clinic and she is going to help me train them to drive, so im not compeltely alone!

I looked around the enternet a little bit, and most prices i saw were around $129, to $169 for a leather harness, but then I phoned a local tack shop and she said the cheapest was $350???? Im doing this just for fun, its not everyday I get the chance to teach minis how to drive, so i really dont want to spend to much, I just want harnesses that function well!

ridergirl23 07-12-2011 06:23 PM

I just looked on ebay, there was one Beta thane (is that the same thing as byothane? are they 2 different things or am I just def and thought she said byo? lol) for $100!!! It looks pretty nice? If anyone bids on it im going to scream at them!!! so no one even think about it....

ridergirl23 07-13-2011 12:30 PM

bump :)

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-13-2011 02:43 PM

My harnesses are all leather, I love them, but I have looked into getting a bio or beta myself just for the ease of cleaning since I do a bit of training.
Also because I've gotten caught in some serious down-pours, and have to scramble for cover so I do not ruin a good leather harness..... :?
The difference between the two is that one resembles leather and the other is dressier, more like patten leather.
I started a thread awhile back in the driving section of the forum, and got tons of great input on the subject, sounds like they are a great way to go!

I have found that prices really fluctuate too. A show harness is going to cost more than an "every day" harness, and then the actual quality makes a difference as well.
Buy good quality, just for safety sake if nothing else.

I am also looking into driving a couple of my minis as a team. Seems there are a couple extra pieces to the team-harness that enable you to safely hook them up. I am not much more help on that subject yet, sorry.

Here is a link to a place that I bought a couple of my harnesses from. They are in Canada, but I had absolutely no problems with shipping.
They are extremely helpful over the phone, answering any questions you may have. I am very happy with the quality as well, and they have a very reasonable price range, and return policy.
They make both single and team harnesses for minis.
Amber Hillside Horse Harness - Formerly Rons Horse Harness - Home

Hope that helps you a little bit anyway....
Keep us updated, love to hear how things progress for you!

Saddlebag 07-13-2011 02:49 PM

The price difference in leather harnesses has to do with quality. If your intention is to drive double then you need to get harness suitable for that as there are a few straps that cross from one horse to the other. If the footing isn't deep then one mini can easily pull an adult. My son pulled his girlfriend around like nothing and she outweighed him.

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-13-2011 02:50 PM

Oh, here is a link to that thread I mentioned in case you wanted to take a peak.
I think there maybe a good link or two to websites there as well...lots of good opinions anyway!

http://www.horseforum.com/driving/op...rnesses-78678/

ridergirl23 07-13-2011 09:59 PM

Ok thank you soooo much guys! I found a harness on ebay that we ordered from free spirit tack, if we don't like it for any reason we can return it, but I'm sure excited :D it will be sooo cool to learn how to drive! Its a whole new world!
Posted via Mobile Device

ridergirl23 07-13-2011 10:07 PM

Oh and one more question just because I'm a keener ;)
Is there any way you can just buy those leather pieces and attach two single harnesses with them? Or do they only work for specific double harness?
Posted via Mobile Device

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-14-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 1096090)
Oh and one more question just because I'm a keener ;)
Is there any way you can just buy those leather pieces and attach two single harnesses with them? Or do they only work for specific double harness?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I have been wondering myself!
I have three harnesses, and do not really want/need to purchase another two, i.e. the Team Harness, seems unnecessary for a lot of different reasons....
I have tried to figure it out by looking at the pics of miniature team harnesses on the websites, but they really do not make it clear what the extras are. :?
I prefer the breastplate opposed to the collar style if that makes any difference as well.

Hopefully some one knowledgeable here on the forum can help us out with this one? :wink:

Oh, and you are going to LOVE driving, it really is a blast! My minis really love it too. Lots of fun.
Keep us all updated on your progress okay?

ridergirl23 07-14-2011 03:35 PM

Haha ok thanks! It's at least good to know I'm not asking completely stupid questions! Lol

I definitely will, I'm sure I will be on here a lot more with mini questions! I can't wait to get them a job because the poor little guys are just out in the field, but they love it when pele come play with them, so I think they will love this!