Advice about allergy please!
Ok so I bought an 8 year old paint mare about a week ago and when I picked her up the girl I bought her from told me that they trailered her to the river to go swim (as there last ride together) and that the dust in the trailer had made her a little wheezy so she suspected she has a mild dust allergy. She was very up front about it and told us she hadnt had any previous problems with her, she had worked her quite hard before (she was a barrel prospect that just wasnt quite fast enough), and just told us if we had some hay that was lower quality to just wet it down for her.
So we brought her home and we couldnt hear any wheezing. Then we threw some hay out for them which was dusty and not great quality so I watered it down fairly well but it still caused her to start wheezing again, once removed from it she stopped wheezing within a day. I never heard her cough and you couldnt see her visibly making a huge effort to breath (heaving) she just had a slight wheeze that didnt seem to be bothering her, she wasnt lethargic, acting sick, or anything like that.
Then today she rolled and once she stood up she coughed for a few minutes after and now I'm having a bit of a panic moment. Apparently she did that earlier today when I wasnt around as well (after she rolled). I dont know if im just being hyper about watching for signs of heaves or something wrong now or if I should be worried. She hasnt been wheezy at all all day and the girl I bought her from seemed very up front and honest so I'm not really concerned she lied to us or anything like that, just wondering if I should be as concerned as I am now. It's only been two days since she was removed from the hay so she may still have some allergy issues going on, but the slight wheeze is definately gone.
She will most definately NOT be going anywhere near any hay but the best quality from now on, in fact we've decided to stop feeding the dustier hay to all of our horses even though they never had any issues with it just to be safe. So if anyone has any advice,experience, or anything about whether I should be worried or not please help me out here. I am keeping money on hand to get a vet to check her if need be, I just want to give her time to get over the dusty hay reaction before I pay a vet to tell me something I already know (that she has a mild allergy).
Sounds like the hay isnt the only thing, she coughed after rolling? Was it dust where she rolled? My girls created a sand bed where they sleep and roll but they dont cough after doing it. I would call the vet.... and at least talk to him about what it possibly could be or what to watch out for if it is more serious.
Posted via Mobile Device
How familiar were you with this horse before you purchased her? Were you able to ride her before hand? If so, how much riding were you able to do? Did you go for long rides or some what short rides? Basically is there any reason to think that this horse did in fact have this problem prior to her "dusty trailer ride"?
You need to ask yourself how long are you willing to wait before calling a vet if her conditions do not improve. She may have a respiratory infection and needs antibiotics.
Yes the coughing after rolling is what has me worried because it did come up after the wheezing had stopped. It has only come up last night and now I just watched her this morning cough after getting up from laying down (all 3 of our horses were having a lay down this morning, they tend to do that every morning). Apparently she coughed during the night to so now she has me extremely worried and I will likely be contacting the vet asap. I did ride her before I purchased her but around here you generally only do one viewing before making a decision on a horse. I did ride her for probably around an hour total between the girl riding her and then me riding her bareback, then with a saddle. I did trot and canter her and she didnt cough or wheeze at all. The other horse on the property was with us the entire time as well and showed no signs of being sick either so I dont think its a contagious sort of thing. I wanted to give it a bit of time to see if it was a constant issue with her or if it was just a one time sort of thing but it appears to be constant and directly related to her going from laying down to getting up. The area she rolled in was freshly wet from rain so it was not dusty or anything like that at all. Does anyone know what this could be other than an infection? I'm worried she may have some kind of major issue now. My dad thinks we are over-reacting to her coughing and thats why I wanted a few opinions on here before I run to the vet just in case it wasnt that serious of an issue. :cry:
Breathing issues can go bad so easily.
I would probably call the vet and consider it my 'meet my new horse' appointment. (Assuming you did not do a pre-purchase exam.)
The vet is being contacted as we speak. Hopefully we can get her in ASAP, I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks for all the help!
Ok the vet is coming out between 4 and 5 today so hopefully we can figure it out then. If she has heaves or anything like that what will that mean for her rideability? I dont plan on working her hard or anything, shes just going to be a pleasure horse for the most part.
There are lots of horses in the world that work just fine with heaves. Once you know what it is then you can know how to manage it so your horse and you can be happy.
Good for calling the vet! I dont know anything about heaves but I would wait till the vet figures everything out before stressing out on what if's.
Posted via Mobile Device
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.