The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How long should I wait before riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-long-should-i-wait-before-91694/)

Dresden 07-13-2011 01:13 PM

How long should I wait before riding?

I have a horse on trial. He arrived yesterday evening at the barn I board at. He is used to being ridden 7 days a week. I have been warned he is the type of horse who needs to be ridden at least 5 times a week or he starts building energy and wanting to go go go.

He seems to be pretty chill. We just hung out in the pasture last night and he didn't seem freaked out or upset. I'll be checking on him again after work today.

So how long should I give him to settle in before I ride him? I know there have been other threads about this but my phone refuses to use the search option. Sorry for repeating a question that's been asked by others plenty I am sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 07-13-2011 01:21 PM

I think you have been more than generous with your settling in time.

If you went to a horse show would have days to settle in? No.

Your trial time is only so long. Get out there and ride.

Dresden 07-13-2011 03:02 PM

Thank you :) I appreciate your help on this and some other questions I've asked
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 07-13-2011 03:06 PM

Let us know how it goes!

pintophile 07-13-2011 03:15 PM

I never wait more than a day to ride a new horse, often the same day it comes home.

AB said everything I need to.

Allison Finch 07-13-2011 04:03 PM

I usually tack them up right after unloading them. I will hack them around the facility to show them around. Then, I might put just a little work on them.

GeminiJumper 07-13-2011 04:42 PM

There's no need to really let him chill out and settle in. Get busy. The least you can do is lunge him everyday to make sure his limbs are up and moving.

Dresden 07-13-2011 10:12 PM

It rained too badly to ride today, after I got all ready and excited. *sigh* going to try again tomorrow. These are the days I long for an indoor arena!
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-13-2011 10:20 PM

I agree with everyone else, I go for a ride either the day they come home, the day after, or the first chance I have, depending on the horse and my timeframe. Because he is supposed to be so high energy, I sure wouldn't want to let him sit for 3 or 4 days before trying to ride him.

Let us know how it goes with him whenever the rain stops :D.

Alwaysbehind 07-14-2011 07:32 AM

Send your rain this way. Please.

Fingers crossed that you get to ride today.