The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   How brave are you--or think you are? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/how-brave-you-think-you-91698/)

Spyder 07-13-2011 01:47 PM

How brave are you--or think you are?

Watch a program on TV about acts of bravery in rescuing people/animals.

So if there was a drowning person, burning barn or any number of disasters happening around you and you were in a position to help, not in an after the fact timing but when immediate danger is present....would you act?????????????

Lonannuniel 07-13-2011 01:54 PM

I would like to think that I am very brave person, but in a moment of panic, I have no idea how i would respond. I think I would try my best to help, but there would still be a moment of hesitation before i jump into the situation. I have never been in a situation that required me to save another life, so until i prove myself differently, I am going to say that i would do what I could to help that person in need

Stakie 07-13-2011 02:02 PM

Well, I would hope that I would be brave enough to help in disasters. I did was a child save my cousin from drowning. Later became a lifeguard. I just don't know how I would act now adays.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesdontlie 07-13-2011 02:09 PM

I also would like to say that I wish I would. Yet at the same time for me it severely depends upon the situation. For example, I don't think I would ever enter a burning barn (unless the fire was still very very small), throw myself in front of a gun to save a stranger or anything of the sort. (with family though I hope I would do anything and everything possible)

On the other hand I have, imo handled more minor situations relatively well before. I have pulled people out of rivers (about 5 people who were poor swimmers swept into the middle of fast moving water and stranded on a rock in the middle) and thrown myself into animal emergencies, like throwing myself onto a down horse. But I contribute those things to the fact that I am a very strong swimmer and I worked in an animal clinic in which case I dealt with panicked, thrashing, dying animals on a daily basis and feel that I would act quickly if a situation rose out in the world.

Other than stuff I feel absolutely confident in I can not say what I would do, but hope that I would make the right choice, be brave and hopefully save someone without endangering myself.

smrobs 07-13-2011 02:10 PM

The only thing is, nobody can truly know what they'll do until that moment is upon them. Most of us like to think that we would jump right in and do our best but there is a good portion of people that would freeze and do nothing or run the other way.

There are certain things that I, personally, know I can do because I've been in those situations; jumping into a fight when a friend is being assaulted, getting right beside (not inside) a burning barn to free some horses, pointing a gun at a dangerous man who was coming at me, etc. I also know things that I can't do like jumping into a body of water to save someone from drowning. I am not a strong enough swimmer and that would just create another victim in need of rescuing.

lildonkey8 07-13-2011 02:23 PM

I wouldn't. I'd be terrified, I'd flee at the sight of danger...

tinyliny 07-13-2011 02:29 PM

I don't know if I would do those things for a stranger. But if my children were in danger, I would jump to it. I would be a total tigress for them.

Shasta1981 07-13-2011 02:32 PM

I would like to think that I would be able to help. I think it depends on your level of knowlege of the crisis situation. For instance, if someone had a heart attack in front of me I'm sure I would call 911 and look for help, but I have no idea how to administer CPR. I think that if you have a plan of action for one of these situations you are probably more likely to help (like being aware of where the exits are located on an aircraft and how to open them). You would also have to command very quick thinking to determine if you can actually help the situation or make it worse (as smrobs pointed out). I guess I really don't know and won't know unless I find myself in such a situation.

Spyder 07-13-2011 02:37 PM

Smrobs is right and you always wonder.

I did go into a burning barn and get the horses out. It is funny but I didn't feel any fear at all. The roof just 2 feet above me was burning and the **** horse would not come out ...until a spark dropped down on her bum and almost ran me over. Her name ironically was flame.

I was even dumb enough to realize that the horses had no halters and I went back in and got some hanging close to the doorway.

It was two days later that I started to shake.

It is funny how it is often well after when fear can set in.

Would I do it again...I really don't know.

smrobs 07-13-2011 02:41 PM

At my old job, they always wanted us to play the "What if" game. They wanted you constantly thinking about what you would do if this or that happened. It doesn't guarantee that you'll react correctly, but if you play it enough, you'll at least usually have a plan in place before the incident happens so that you don't have to waste precious seconds thinking "OMG, what do I do?"