The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   not the typical issue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/not-typical-issue-9172/)

kaitie* 05-20-2008 09:55 PM

not the typical issue

Alright..most of the weight problems I hear of are all about thier horses being too skinny and not being able to gain enough weight.
My problem is more of keeping the weight off.
My 6yo mare is quite fit and very healthy. Although no matter how hard I work to keep her weight off it just keeps coming back!
I don't like taking her to big shows when shes over weight, she looks so amazing when shes NORMAL.
Does anyone have any ideas that don't include crazy diets.
I can't be out at the ranch everyday.

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-20-2008 10:10 PM

I would suggest a grazing muzzle but since you can't be there all the time I'm not really sure what to tell ya.

sempre_cantando 05-21-2008 05:20 AM

Can you possible restrict the area she has to graze in? Like maybe using portable electric fences? That's all i can think of.

Also, does she get any hard feed? If so, give her less or none at all.

crackrider 05-21-2008 08:08 AM

Yeah, like the others said if you can resrict the amount of grazing she can do it would help and if possible cut out any hard feed that should help.
I can't think of any other way than that and constant work. . . .

kickshaw 05-21-2008 09:21 AM

you can put her in one of those full body sweats like they do the Arabian halter horses :shock: :shock:

(I am JUST KIDDING - please don't do that!)

other than what's mentioned above - i have no suggestions.

Pictures??

kim_angel 05-21-2008 09:53 AM

Re: not the typical issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitie*
My problem is more of keeping the weight off.
My 6yo mare is quite fit and very healthy. Although no matter how hard I work to keep her weight off it just keeps coming back!

She sounds like me. LOL :lol: Maybe we can go to Weight Watchers together !?!?!?

But in all honesty, like the other said, you might have to get a muzzle or find an area that there is not much grass in.

My2Geldings 05-21-2008 05:08 PM

Lots of great advice has already been given. As my friend would call it, put her in a the Jenny Craig pen. Put her on a restriction diet, hay that will be less rich than grass. You can control how much she eats and see how much of it she does eat. You ca adjust her weight that way.
Make sure you do it gradually and put her on a solid riding schedule.

kaitie* 05-21-2008 06:09 PM

update.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. She has visited the Jenny Craig pen many times lol. I just don't want to have her there all the time, I don't find it quite as healthy. She is only ever on grass, no other feeds have EVER been used. Except the occasional treat and grain.
My main problem is I board her at public stable. Its a bit of an issue to have private pens and regulated diets with the amount of space and cost.
I'd show you guys some pictures but ... I don't know how :?

kickshaw 05-22-2008 08:42 AM

kaitie*, you have a pm :)