The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Risk factors for back/neck issues....who knew? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/risk-factors-back-neck-issues-who-91730/)

franknbeans 07-13-2011 08:31 PM

Risk factors for back/neck issues....who knew?

Ok, so after years of progressive neck issues, I finally had an MRI, after which the primary care just said "there are too many issues. Just go see a neurosurgeon". So-went to the MD today. He tells me the issues, the treatment that MAY help and give me some relief, but also tells me that the main risk factors for back neck issues-horseback riding (:shock:) and smoking. (I quit in January) Hmm... So, at least he hasn't told me I have to stop riding yet (good luck with that one)........so I get PT, which means free massages. Surgery is not an option, so there is no fixing it. Just hope to slow the progression. But will not likely ride english again....just don't have the arm strength anymore. Oh well, my english guy wanted a permanenet retirement.....

This aging crap is highly overrated.:-(

tinyliny 07-13-2011 09:30 PM

Is the lack of arm strength due to nerve impaction for the arm? I mean is it that the nerve exiting the spinal column, which is the nerve for the arm, is pinched at the point where it exits the vertebrae?

shmurmer4 07-14-2011 12:20 AM

You have a few major nerves that run through the shoulder, and up into the neck. If they're damaged, it can cause ridiculous amounts of pain along with shoulder & neck issues.

tinyliny 07-14-2011 02:04 AM

i had this. it got so that every time I looked upward, I got an intense flush down my arm. I was so bothered by it. I had the massage therapy and the "stretching" of the neck on this kind of gizmo. And, a course of steroids to reduce inflammation. It worked. I get this problem to some degree now, if I do a lot of driving. But it did get better. Please, let's hope you , too, will have some recovery.

RATHER BE RIDING 07-14-2011 07:38 PM

Ditto on the aging crap! I don't mind getting older, but I resent like hell when the pain makes me feel and act old.

I hope that you find some relief.

franknbeans 07-14-2011 09:02 PM

Tiny-it sounds just like that. No more painting ceilings for me! Oh darn.

Went to PT today, thinking "oh good, a few excercises then maybe ultrasound and massage.....hot packs...." HA! No! B&*ch aggravated it to the point of ridiculousness....and when I said something...she said-"yeah-that is quite a knot you have! 8-) Really? Hmmmm.

Hoping I inprove with of without her......otherwise it will be as it has been-ignore it as best as possible, and continue riding western, since it is easier on it. :-)

I hate getting old. Went out and had a sympathy hug with my old retired draft X today.....he gives the best hugs. :-)

tinyliny 07-14-2011 09:21 PM

FandB,

I do hope that it will change. It took me some time, and a good 10 treatments or so. It is still with me, but if I maintain good posture it helps. Please don't give up faith, and remember it might get worse before it gets better.

If that's you in the Avatar, you can't be all that old!

franknbeans 07-14-2011 09:41 PM

Sure hope so! Thanks! And yes, that is me.....a friend who is a
plastic surgeon as well as a good hair colorist are "Must have's"........:-)

tinyliny 07-14-2011 09:46 PM

Man, I wanna know that person! 'specially the plastic surgeon! Parts of me are forgetting where they are supposed to be.