The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   AP saddle for combined training and/or eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ap-saddle-combined-training-eventing-9176/)

Rainey_Days3 05-20-2008 11:41 PM

AP saddle for combined training and/or eventing

For very low levels of combined training and/or eventing, is it all right to use an all purpose saddle? And, do the pro eventers use the same jumping saddle for showjumping and xc? I know thats kind of an odd question, but hey, I was wondering. :oops:
Thanks!
Rainey_Days3

Amanda7289 05-21-2008 10:22 PM

It's definitely okay to do that. Most low level eventers only have one saddle and use it for everything. (I'm one of those people. lol) =] Half of the people at my barn only have one saddle. I don't see the need for a dressage saddle unless you're showing in the higher levels.

I'm pretty sure even the pros use the same saddle for SJ and XC, but I may be wrong. I wouldn't understand why they would switch, but you never know.

Rainey_Days3 05-21-2008 10:27 PM

thanks! I just wasn't sure if you needed a dressage saddle too. I would really like to event, however my mother doesn't want me to go over about 6-maybe 8 inches, much less ride a xc course!
Maybe I can convince her to let me compete in the greener than grass class for combined training! :wink:
Thanks again!
Rainey_Days3

Amanda7289 05-21-2008 10:31 PM

I think the lowest height is 12-18". I know in my area they have a division called "green horn" that is mostly for smaller kids I think, but you get to do a walk/trot dressage test, a sj course, and a small xc course. It's a good way to start out though - especially with an overprotective mom. =]

Good Luck.

PoptartShop 05-21-2008 11:04 PM

That should be fine!! :)

love-a-hero 05-22-2008 06:58 AM

Ofcourse, I didnt buy a Jumping saddle till 2 years ago, all i competed in was a Wintec 500, and a leather show saddle (had many..not mine)

Rainey_Days3 05-25-2008 11:20 PM

Thanks for your replies! They helped a lot! Thanks.
rainey_days3