The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Safe!....Share your tips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-safe-share-your-tips-91763/)

AmazinCaucasian 07-14-2011 02:09 AM

Riding Safe!....Share your tips

We were at a hospital not long ago and I was in awe of how many people were there (one in critical condition) because of horse-related accidents. Having three kids has made me much more safety-consious than ever before. So how about we share some safety tips with each other....Maybe it'll save someone or their children from a traumatic accident or worse!
I'll kick off by offering a tip that has saved my butt several times: Always wear leather soled boots. Being hung up to a horse and dragged through the bushes is no fun. It's even better if you wear a size bigger so they'll come off if need be. Unless they're riding bareback, please don't allow your kids to ride in thick-soled, rubber-sole boots or tennis shoes.
Please share your ideas!!

ridergirl23 07-14-2011 02:12 AM

To ad to the boots... Make sure they have a foot heel on them! I just always remind people of the simple safety rule, always wear your helmet! It's amazing how many people pass this off as not important, get a nice one you love and youll like wearing it :)
I think this is a good idea for a thread,

tinyliny 07-14-2011 02:24 AM

Watch your feet and the horse's feet, always know where his feet are and where they are likely to move in the event of a spook. IN fact, always be aware of having a way out for the horse if he must move in the event of a spook, like when going throug tight places and such.

CowgirlsR4Ever300 07-14-2011 03:24 AM

For me its my feet the most. I have issues with my feet slipping out of the stirrups and I've tried everything. I put vet wrap on my stirrups. Helps with grip. But doesn't make it so bad that if need be I can still slip my feet out. And I always wear a helmet. Only because last year my horse and my mom had a huge wreck. And the helmet saved her head from the fall.
Posted via Mobile Device

pintophile 07-14-2011 12:01 PM

Don't push yourself farther than both you and your horse can handle. I've made this mistake many many times, luckily never been hurt (besides bumps and bruises), but it's only a matter of time.

Susan Crumrine 07-14-2011 12:05 PM

Do not over horse yourself. You are going to have more fun with a horse that is within your abilities to ride than something flashier that scares you.
Always wear protective head gear. Roper style boots, carry a cell phone in your pocket. ( two seperate times, I had to call 911 from the middle of nowhere). Susan

~*~anebel~*~ 07-14-2011 12:11 PM

Helmets do not make riding safer, they only serve to mitigate risks of a head injury in the event that you do fall. Things which make riding safer are things which prevent bad situations from happening. This includes always knowing the terrain you are riding in, riding with another horse, always having a plan, making sure the horse is trained and prepared for the situations you place him in and always knowing your limits as a rider.
As far as risk mitigation in the event of a fall the two things I can recommend is wearing a helmet and having your cell phone or a walkie talkie in a shatter proof case on your person while riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 07-14-2011 12:24 PM

In my honest opinion, you shouldn't wear boots a size larger - your foot then slides around in the footwear and your more likely to shove your foot further in the stirrup because the boot is too big. Nope, correct size of shoe with a heel. Just my two cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 07-14-2011 01:41 PM

Great tips above!! Also, if you're going to be out riding alone, let someone know where you're headed and about when you'll be back, and carry your cell phone as Anebel mentioned. That way if it's been too long after you were supposed to be back and you're not answering your cell, someone can alert the police and/or ride out with a group after you to make sure you're alright.

And wear a medical arm band, so that it just makes it easier should something happen to you while you're not with your buddies and you are unconscious, for rescuers to contact your loved ones, know where to take you/any allergies to meds you have, etc.

tinyliny 07-14-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 1096769)

And wear a medical arm band, so that it just makes it easier should something happen to you while you're not with your buddies and you are unconscious, for rescuers to contact your loved ones, know where to take you/any allergies to meds you have, etc.

I keep that information (name, address, phone number, blood type, drug allergies) inside my helmet, since I never ride without it.