The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   stall or pasture (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stall-pasture-9177/)

ayeshaqureshi00 05-21-2008 12:45 AM

stall or pasture

Hi everyone! I was just curious to know what everyone thinks about pasture board versus stall board...I've always stalled my horses, but now that I'm looking for a new horse I've also thought about trying a new form of board (pasture). It sounds like it has many positive benefits for horses including a more natural surrounding and healthier hooves, and would also be easier on my bank account! Let me know what you think.

PoptartShop 05-21-2008 11:38 AM

I think them being in a pasture is less stressful. ;) Plus, it is definitely a more natural surrounding...more room, they can run all they want, frolic, graze freely, etc. :D They get more exercise out their too, & you really don't have to worry about cribbing & such lol. :D

kickshaw 05-21-2008 11:43 AM

i say pasture all the way

with the exception of:
- show horses
- pregnant broodmares (turn out is absolutely fine, but i prefer mine to have a place to "get away from it all :) )
- stallions (duh)
- injured horses (again, duh)

ayeshaqureshi00 05-21-2008 01:35 PM

Thanks! Pasture is pretty much what I've been told from everybody that I've talked with for those exact reasons (health, energy, etc)

PaintHorseMares 05-21-2008 10:18 PM

We don't have to board, but I would always go pasture boarding. Our mares have a run in to get out of the weather, but they are almost never in there...even in the storms...they obviously prefer to be out and about at all times.

buckaroo2010 05-21-2008 11:05 PM

I would rahter keep my horse out in teh pasture than in a stall because he doesnt like to bet kwept inside and he has more access to food outisde than he does in a stall :)

ayeshaqureshi00 05-22-2008 12:50 AM

thanks for all of the good reasons for pasture boarding I think I'm definately going to go with that...as soon as I find a horse! Also if a horse isnt used to being in the pasture then its better to gradually let them adjust to the excess food so they don't get laminitis right? I'm sure whoever I choose to board with would know, but I feel more comfortable checking with other horse owners...

kickshaw 05-22-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Also if a horse isnt used to being in the pasture then its better to gradually let them adjust to the excess food so they don't get laminitis right?
that's right...but it mostly applies to horses that have had little/no grazing moving into a really rich pasture - little nibbles of grass here and here is a-ok :)

PaintHorseMares 05-23-2008 01:08 AM

Be aware that some horses love to eat (like our 6 yr old Paint mare) and can actually get fat in the pasture, too.

alstaxidermy 05-29-2008 10:09 AM

Pasture board all the way. We originally intended that for ours, ended up (due to issues with other boarders) keeping them in the stalls quite a bit and finally gave up on that location and moved them to a place where they are turned out 24/7 unless they are eating or the weather really sucks. Let me just say they are doing heaps and bunches better and all of the horses there are in amazing shape! For sure give it a try if you can, I bet your horses will love you for it.