The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   keeping a saddle in a building thats not totally closed in? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/keeping-saddle-building-thats-not-totally-91790/)

nyg052003 07-14-2011 11:52 AM

keeping a saddle in a building thats not totally closed in?

Right now I will probably have to keep my saddle in one of my Lean-to's until I finish getting my buildings done with shelves and stuff so that I can rearrange everything. I am working on so much stuff in yard as well as my horse stuff that I have things just thrown in all of the buildings and stuff I have added on. Will the saddle be fine say in a Lean to that doesn't have a door on, therefore exposing the saddle to moisture? If so, should I keep it covered up possibly with plastic or something else? It doesn't leak in there though just to point out.

nicole25 07-15-2011 12:56 PM

why not keep it in the house or the trunk of your car?

gigem88 07-15-2011 12:59 PM

I agree, if I left my saddle in a space without temp/humidity control it would turn green and fuzzy within hours! Just too hot and sticky down here.

nyg052003 07-15-2011 01:07 PM

drive a mustang and I wouldnt want to keep it in a car anyway lol. Unless i had a car in the yard that wasn't running or somethign

Alwaysbehind 07-15-2011 01:25 PM

Is the saddle leather or synthetic?

nyg052003 07-15-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1098033)
Is the saddle leather or synthetic?

actually havent bought it yet. I do have a leather one my dad borrowed from soem people he worked with that used to have horses and havent for yrs and yrs so they let him use it. They probably pretty much gave it to him though lol.

churumbeque 07-15-2011 01:38 PM

I have leave mine out in the barn about 18' away front the elements and it does fine. I put it away in the winter though

DejaVu 07-15-2011 07:32 PM

My saddles that aren't kept in the tack room I keep enclosed in a full saddle bag.
Even my tack in the tack room is still kept covered with a light dust cover.
They're a pain for getting your saddles in and out, but my experience with them, in the crazy south Texas heat and humidity, it keeps them safe, clean, and dust/mold free.

Saddlebag 07-16-2011 04:58 PM

Set it on a saddle rack facing outward and cover it with cloth, not plastic. The plastic will trap moisture whereas the cloth will allow the air to move thro it. Just hand it as high as you can easily manage. By outward, I mean hang it so the skirt is up against the wall,less damage if the saddle should bump the wall.

heartprints62 07-16-2011 06:42 PM

My saddle's basically live in my trailer. It's a combo horse/stock trailer, so it's waterproof in the front, but it is open. My tack room doesn't even have a door on it, and I haven't lost anything yet. I spend a day about once a month making sure to oil and/or clean everything up.