The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fly Sheets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fly-sheets-91810/)

Ohhkierst 07-14-2011 02:44 PM

Fly Sheets?

I have never put a full fly sheet on my horse, just a fly mask, but flies are out in full force this year... are they a good investment? It looks like it makes the horse sweat more...

help!

Thyme 07-14-2011 02:58 PM

i have a fly sheet that is pretty much just a net,not one of the fancy ones, and it works great for her, we live next to the river so the mosqitoes and flies are like mutated monsters
As long as it doesnt make your horse too sweaty which could then be counter productive and lure the flies in.

Lonannuniel 07-14-2011 02:59 PM

Fly sheets are a great investment, assuming you get a high quality one.
I've never had an issue with them overheating, fly sheets are made of mesh, and thus, heat from the body can easily escape.

Ohhkierst 07-14-2011 03:31 PM

What is a good brand? I have seen many at my barn that they get worked then put one on and they never really cool down. Or they come to ride and take it off and their horses and the horse is already sweaty.
Posted via Mobile Device

lovemarcy 07-14-2011 04:54 PM

A horse at the barn I work at wears one of the new Kool coats that has the neck cover, the heat index here has been 110 and the bugs are awful this year- he always seems cool and happy. He's not getting shoulder rubs either- which i've heard is a problem with a lot of fly sheets.

SunnyK01 07-14-2011 10:08 PM

My horses both wear fly sheets during the day and go without at night. They both have the Amigo brand - one has the cheapie Amigo Mio Fly Rug and one has the slightly pricier regular Amigo Fly Rug. I like them both a lot! We had daytime temps in the low 90's last week with high humidity and neither horse broke a sweat. Neither one has had an issue with rubs either. As far as fly sheets go, these were pretty inexpensive but have held up great! 2 summers in and still going strong. My horses are both pretty easy on their sheets though, they may roll in them once in a while but neither horse is very rambunctious. I would never NOT put my mare in a fly sheet - she gets awful welts from bug bites and the sheet has completely stopped that issue.

Ohhkierst 07-14-2011 10:19 PM

is it okay to put on one after you wash them down ? and work them ?

Does this eliminate the use fly spray completely besides legs and neck ? ?

SunnyK01 07-14-2011 10:35 PM

As long as my horses have had all the excess water scraped off I will put their sheets on after washing them off and have never had an issue. I think I even read somewhere that you can hose down the sheets and put them on the horse for a cooling effect but I've never tried that.

My horses sheets both have the attached neck covers, and I have found that I generally only need to fly spray their legs, bellies, and the top of their necks where there is a few inches not covered by their masks or sheets.

Ohhkierst 07-14-2011 10:40 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I think purchasing a fly sheet is in the near future! Probably next feed store visit!

now to find one that straps behind the legs... my gelding just loves to pee on the ones that have belly straps !