The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What paint pattern is she? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-paint-pattern-she-91820/)

ForgottenBritannic 07-14-2011 04:51 PM

What paint pattern is she?

1 Attachment(s)
I am not very familiar with paint horse patterns, never owned one until now. Olympic is a friesian cross, 15hh and has a blue eye. The picture is not that great but she has a two-toned main and tail.She was a freebie from my friend who is moving out to California and couldn't take her. Just got her home yesterday. From the little bit I do know I am taking a wild guess and say she may be tobiano. Please help!

To ride the sky 07-14-2011 05:11 PM

Wow that is some awesome 'freebee'! You are lucky! She is gorgeous!!!
She's a Tovero :)

Chiilaa 07-14-2011 10:18 PM

To extend on the outdated and really broad "tovero" which shouldn't be used any more...

She looks to me like tobiano with frame, and maybe sabino too.

Equilove 07-14-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1097323)
To extend on the outdated and really broad "tovero" which shouldn't be used any more...

She looks to me like tobiano with frame, and maybe sabino too.

Even if it's "outdated" I think it's a good description for people who aren't "genetically correct" with their terms and just want a word that accurately describes the markings. Tovero is pretty self explanatory for people that already know the difference between tobiano and overo. I know people that still use it. Why is it so wrong?

Chiilaa 07-14-2011 10:31 PM

Because Overo is wrong too. Overo covers three different white patterns, one of which is lethal in homozygous form. Why continue to use outdated terminology that puts horses at risk - oh she's not frame, she's overo, so I can breed her to this other pretty tovero here...

Poco1220 07-14-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1097334)
Because Overo is wrong too. Overo covers three different white patterns, one of which is lethal in homozygous form. Why continue to use outdated terminology that puts horses at risk - oh she's not frame, she's overo, so I can breed her to this other pretty tovero here...

I do agree with this! I get a lot of people who immediately assume every overo and tovero carries the lethal white gene which is extremely wrong. Only frame do and therefore the three types of overo need to be differentiated from. Just like splash's tend to have a higher chance of deafness due to a lack of pigmentation inside the ear - this is a SPLASH characteristic, not an overo one. :)

JustRide 07-14-2011 11:35 PM

She is STUNNING!

Falicity 07-14-2011 11:49 PM

Wow, she's gorgeous! I've always wanted a Friesian or Friesian X, and she looks absolutely perfect! Congrats, lucky you! As for color, all I can say is that she's a pinto ;). Pinto patterns are NOT my forte :roll:

ShutUpJoe 07-15-2011 12:32 PM

She's beautiful! Absolutely amazing!

Thyme 07-15-2011 02:07 PM

I have always been told my horse Rem is tovero, his papers just say Tobiano/Overo.
Could someone "horse color knowledged" look at him and tell me what I sould call him? I have pics of him "in my barn"