The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Let's see YOUR horse related injuries! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/lets-see-your-horse-related-injuries-91830/)

MangoRoX87 07-14-2011 06:30 PM

Let's see YOUR horse related injuries!

8 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I have to completely rewrite this because Horseforum doesn't think I am intelligent. And I probably just spelled that wrong, so they are probably right haha.

This is the thread to show off injuries you've gotten while riding, working, or just doing horse involved things. Show off your casts, shiners, scars, etc!
I'll start off with mine.

I was shooing my two year old out of the barn, where he knows better than to be. I walked up to his shoulder, smacked him (it wasn't like some hard freaking slap, just a "move boy!" smack haha) and got out of his way so he could turn and get out. He had other plans, and nailed me right in the head. Thankfully I put my arms up and blocked some of it, but still got hit pretty hard. For a tiny horse, he can kick prrretty dang hard. I went to the ER, then came home two hours later with no pain meds or anything. The doctors must have wanted me to suffer.

This goes to show how easily we can let our guard down around horses and make stupid mistakes, not ever thinking twice about it.
Here are pictures. The first one is from the night it happened, then the rest are pictures from the mornings and evenings of the preceding days. Don't laugh at the faces, I was keeping my spirit up while being locked in the house for like a week XD

Endiku 07-14-2011 07:13 PM

oh WOW. That's a nasty one! I'm really suprised that they didn't keep you for observations with a knot like that... did your eye recover all the way?

I don't really have pictures...plenty of nice scars from wire, bites from Sour (my three year old) and a slightly deformed knee from a kick one of the colts delivered x] nothing to be too proud of!

lovemarcy 07-14-2011 07:33 PM

omg that looks terrible! i hope you've fully recovered! i dont have any pictures, but a couple of weeks ago as I was bringing in horses for breakfast, one got impatient and shoved the gate with his nose, i was on the other side of it trying to get it open and it bounced right into my face- i had a nice bruise across the bridge of my nose!

Carleen 07-14-2011 07:56 PM

Ouch! That looks horrible! Love your spirit though, lol!

Jessskater 07-14-2011 08:42 PM

That looks soo painful!!! D:

churumbeque 07-14-2011 08:49 PM

That horse would have got a big spankin

tinyliny 07-14-2011 08:50 PM

Looks like you had your Halloween costume all reeady to go! That is horrible.
I think that it's common to not give pain meds with any head injury to not mask anything. Also, since the injury is to brain neurons, and pain meds affect such, might not want to complicate what your brain is already dealing with. However, odd that they did not observe you overnight.

I bet your insurance had something to do with that. Those slimey . . . .

mysticalhorse 07-14-2011 09:34 PM

Mystic has kicked me in the butt twice when she was being playful....she learned real quick after the 2nd time I dont play that way. ( no pics of my hiney, lol)

Spyder decided one day when I was checking her hooves for rocks that she was done and flipped so fast she brusied my upper arm then kicked the fire out of me. I had awesome black bruises on each thigh for 3 weeks! She stopped 10 yards away looking at me like what are you gonna do about it? She found out real quick! I kicked her back then ran her around the yard! She kept trying to face me but ummmm I was mad! Then when we settled down I asked for that hoof again! Crazy arab of mine!
Posted via Mobile Device

jfisher256 07-14-2011 09:49 PM

OMG! That looks so painful, did that take forever to heal, I'm guessing?

A few weeks ago I was trying out a 16.1hh Thoroughbred mare, although she looks a lot bigger than 16.1hh. I got on her and she picked it up at the walk a bit and started bopping her head a little bit and the owner was just like "Ah she's just being a show off now!" I thought nothing of it, and wanted to trot her after getting used to being on her for a few minutes at the walk. I picked up a trot and she just had different plans. Took me to a full-fledged gallop that I wasn't ready for and next thing I knew she stopped short, I went flying, hit my head on the wall, then landed on the ground on my lower back, where I had a lumbar spinal fracture. Stinkin' horse! Needless to say, I have not ridden her again after that. But the owner is really pushing towards her instead of the Dutch WB. But I want the WB! I just had really bad bruising for a while and couldn't walk right after that. I was still in school too, my last couple half days actually.

I actually sustained my spinal fracture when I was just trotting like a year ago, I was posting in the trot and they say I was actually born with the bones in that area (that was affected) seperated from each other, and the fracture didn't come on for a good while.

I'll try to find a picture of me with the back brace on while I was in the middle of a lease.

jfisher256 07-14-2011 10:08 PM

Sorry, double post. But here's a picture while I was walking my leased horse. You can't see the back brace part, but I had a leg piece to limit my leg mobility.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...mrchunk1-2.jpg