The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would you board your horse at a place like this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-you-board-your-horse-place-91850/)

kln1993 07-14-2011 10:26 PM

Would you board your horse at a place like this?

Cheap, quality Pasture board
What do you think of this place?

corinowalk 07-14-2011 10:33 PM

Looks like a nice little pasture but I don't see any shelter. While the owner of the property is being kind and offering to blanket and feed, I would worry about too much interference. Is it fenced? Fencing alone is going to cost a small fortune, add in a run in shelter and feed and you might as well be full care boarding.

Skipsfirstspike 07-14-2011 11:52 PM

I am leery about deep ponds in turnout pastures. Summer, hey great. Winter, not so much. Where I am from, winters can be severe, snow and ice. A neighbor has a deep pond and horses, one winter a horse walked out onto the frozen pond and went through the ice. Luckily the owner is a member of the volunteer firefighters, and got the word out right away, horse was rescued. Yikes.
I do not recognize the city, so I don't know if winters are cold there.
If not, Then I would say the place looks beautiful. Yes, ideally there should be a run in shelter.

tinyliny 07-15-2011 01:10 AM

Isnt St. Augustine in Florida? No need for blankets there, or is there?

Stakie 07-15-2011 02:09 AM

I would love to have a place with no other boarders! Place looks nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

tblver 07-15-2011 08:29 AM

I would make sure those trees are horse safe but it looks fine to me. I agree with the shelter, I would ask the land owner if it was alright to build a temp barn or a run-in.

And yes, we do get down into the 40's in the winter, with high humidity so it gets chilly. Lightweight blankets are common, we used midweights a couple of times this past winter when it got into the 20's......

Jake and Dai 07-15-2011 09:53 AM

It looks pretty and the price, compared to what we have in NJ, looks incredible! If you're looking for a place to board, and have time, then I would go visit to see what it really looks like...if there's good safe shelter, fencing etc.

I have to say though, it drives me nuts to see these types of postings with these types of pictures on CL. Why don't they take a pic showing the fencing and shelter (if there is one)???? Most caring horse owners want to see that stuff! It also makes me think they have something to hide or that it's not really up to snuff.

SEAmom 07-15-2011 09:56 AM

I'd definitely check it out. It looks promising.
Posted via Mobile Device

tblver 07-15-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 1097754)
It looks pretty and the price, compared to what we have in NJ, looks incredible! If you're looking for a place to board, and have time, then I would go visit to see what it really looks like...if there's good safe shelter, fencing etc.

I have to say though, it drives me nuts to see these types of postings with these types of pictures on CL. Why don't they take a pic showing the fencing and shelter (if there is one)???? Most caring horse owners want to see that stuff! It also makes me think they have something to hide or that it's not really up to snuff.

Judging by the way the post was worded, I'm not entirely sure that the person is a horse person....I know they said they would buy hard feed to give out, but that doesn't mean they know about horses!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake and Dai 07-15-2011 10:11 AM

You're right tblver. I just went back and re-read the ad. Looks like someone trying to make a quick buck.