The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Selling My Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/selling-my-horse-91865/)

alexischristina 07-15-2011 03:13 AM

Selling My Horse

It's the hardest decision I've made in a long time, but I've decided to sell Tango. I bought him two years ago as a greenie and he's only gotten worse- I've done everything to try and 'fix' him. Teeth, chiro, had tack checked, checked for pain then trainers, different exercises but nothing is working, he's stubborn, cranky and recently he's started rearing, no more little hops, more like straight up, come down and go up again.
He's too much for me to handle and I think it boils down to the fact that he hates his job. He was bred for cow work, trained to jump and I've been using him for English Pleasure and Hunter Jumpers.
It's depressing, I'm super upset but I have other horses who love what they do and have the potential to move up, and I'd love to see him back under Western gear hacking through the trails and rounding up cows (or whatever the heck it is they do on those ranches ;D)

Indigosblue 07-15-2011 01:48 PM

hmm, i know how you feel, but sometimes it just doesnt work out. My first horse completely destroyed my confidence and did not like working ANY discipline. Everyone at our ranch was of the 'one horse for life and no selling' mindset, and i never even thought about selling. I moved and found a new ranch, and fell in love with a new horse. This inspired me to sell my first horse, and i've never regretted it. My first horse was never suited to be a one person horse, but he did great in lesson programs. Sometimes you have to pick whats best for the horse... or change along with them (but you probably won't go western, lol). It sounds like your situation is not only not much fun anymore, but also dangerous for you. I would suggest selling and trying to find the horse a home doing something he loves. I wish you the best of luck and don't have hard feelings selling a horse if it doesn't work out.... you never know if that horse's "person" is out there waiting for him, and it takes courage to realize that you might not be the right "person" (or discipline) for your horse.