The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   My Gelding's Story (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/my-geldings-story-91870/)

Bandy 07-15-2011 06:51 AM

My Gelding's Story

5 Attachment(s)
So a few years back I got a phone call from my brothers mates kid brother, he was looking for agistment for his colt. He ended up paddocked at my agistment paddock. The gangly, shy skin and bone yearling colt arrived and within a week i had found out two things. The kid ( he was 16) knew nothing and the colt had an abusive owner and past.

The kid only got to the paddock once a week or so and I worked with his colt when I was there. At first i thought nothing of his shyness until I was working the agistment owners own gelding when the kid was beating the colt up on the lunge. I immediately put a stop to his actions with a, put politely, "you hit him again i'll hit you" within a week the kid had run off to sydney to become a jockey and his dad turned up at my place and GAVE me the colt.

it took several weeks and a lot of tlc from my partner to the colt before he would trust men, and still to this day 2 yrs later if a man gets grouchy or ill tempered the colt is easily spooked.

but on to the good stuff :)
Lucky as he was so named because his First owner almost killed him with neglect, and was "saved" by the young kid, after being turned over to me, i was preoccupied with the older geldings when i heard a bang from the feed store area and turned out the colt had been in the feed bin, alas his name quickly changed to Bandit. his FULL name is Lucky's Little Bandit.

Bandit has recently had a horrible fortnight, his only friend, my 26 yr old arab x quarterhorse gelding was euthainised after being poisioned with medicated cattle feed three weeks prior, and his condition worsened, the most humane thing was to end his suffering with his dignity and noble carriage held high. Bandit was moved off the property within 20 minutes of Taj Mahal's last heart beats as the property owners were still putting out the food.

Then Bandit was paddocked beside a riding school where i was assured the mares were "past" seasoning, well two days later her 9yr old+ mares began to return to season, so Bandit was gelded, much t Critter, the farms kelpie's, enjoyment she dined on allah stallion for breakfast that day.

Since Bandit was turned over to me i have done hours and hours of ground work, leading getting him use to all different things and the number one; staying out of my bubble.
Hes done everything ive asked and looked for more.
He has had saddles and bridles on him for the past year and a few months ago i mounted him and he just stood there, hes was also ridden that weekend, just a short walk.

I saddled him again recently and tugged on his gear quite strongly moved him around the yards geared up and mounted. again he just stood there.

I will be purchasing a training system this week to start him under.

heres a few pictures. (the pic with the evil smily was the FIRST TIME he was ever mounted)

Attachment 69602

Attachment 69603

Attachment 69604

Attachment 69605

Attachment 69606

apachewhitesox 07-15-2011 07:08 AM

What a cutie. It's good to see he has a good home now. :D

Bandy 07-15-2011 07:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bandit as a yearling pics:
Attachment 69611

Attachment 69612

Bandy 07-15-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachewhitesox (Post 1097596)
What a cutie. It's good to see he has a good home now. :D

Thanks =D

yeah hes not a bad looker but his overall conf. is pretty bad lol

Bandy 07-15-2011 07:56 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Favorite pictures:
Attachment 69613

Attachment 69614

Attachment 69615

Attachment 69616

Attachment 69617

Attachment 69618

Attachment 69619

Attachment 69620

Attachment 69621

Attachment 69623

danastark 07-15-2011 08:35 AM

He has such a sweet face :) Do you know how old he is and what breed he is? Lucky he found you :)

danastark 07-15-2011 08:36 AM

Oh, duh! Just saw his breeding under the last picture!

Bandy 07-15-2011 09:03 AM

lol yeah they told me he was TB x stock horse so really anyones guess as stock horse is a label not a breed ha. I'm 5'2 and thats me in the pics hes 15-16hands and still growing and recently gelded so may get a little taller before he stops growing. his age stumped me he was bought as a yearling but by the time he got to my agistment he looked a little younger, ive had him two years give or take so im calling him 3 this year. im not about to loose my fingers checking i should have looked while he was sedated in his gelding on monday lol

sarahver 07-15-2011 09:35 AM

Great story and congratulations on your progress with him, well done! He has a lovely kind eye and seems to have a good attitude, a reflection of your work with him. Whereabouts in Oz are you? The countryside looks beautiful!

Cute face too!! Good luck to both of you.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way!

Bandy 07-15-2011 09:42 AM

Thanks Sarah weve done everything from walking over flapping tarp and boards to past stationary trailered boats, and walking along back roads between farms all without a stud chain.
the walk along the road was only in a halter and lead.
one day i had to lead him past the boat it took 20 minutes for him to realize it wasnt going to eat him then walked back and forth past it a few times then he touched the plants beside it and LEPT forward when it brushed his rump. took a few more attempts before he would walk through properly lol