The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   "New and improved" Would you board your horse at a place like this (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/new-improved-would-you-board-your-91891/)

kln1993 07-15-2011 12:13 PM

"New and improved" Would you board your horse at a place like this

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/grd/2495607212.html
I was very happy with the replies i received in my last post and wanted to update and receive further opinions.
I contacted the owner of the property and pointed out about everything I had doubts on. She was very nice sounded kind of young (maybe early 20's) but seems to know what shes doing. She told me she would re-post the ad later with all the details I wanted to know( she didnt have time at the moment she said because she had to go to a dr's appointment)
I'm pretty pleased with the new ad and I have her a call back because she still had not mentioned anything about shelter.
She wants me to come out today and check it out but she did say their is no built shelter but large trees. She plans to build a shelter once she brings in some money because she currently does not have a job.
Which could take anywhere from 1 month to two months after(if) I begin boarding.

apachiedragon 07-15-2011 12:30 PM

2.5 acres is not a lot of space. How many horses is she expecting to board there? If it is more than two, there is not enough land unless she has a barn to put them up part of them time, or an area to sacrifice to dirt where she will provide hay. The place will end up being all dirt if it gets overgrazed and then she will have to add hay costs which will likely raise the cost of the board. It is a very pretty place, judging from the pictures, but I'd be concerned about it becoming overloaded.

kln1993 07-15-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachiedragon (Post 1097933)
2.5 acres is not a lot of space. How many horses is she expecting to board there? If it is more than two, there is not enough land unless she has a barn to put them up part of them time, or an area to sacrifice to dirt where she will provide hay. The place will end up being all dirt if it gets overgrazed and then she will have to add hay costs which will likely raise the cost of the board. It is a very pretty place, judging from the pictures, but I'd be concerned about it becoming overloaded.

I asked how many horses and she said she could only board one because she may want one herself in the early future.

sarahsmithd 07-15-2011 12:43 PM

I think it looks very nice and she sounds well educated and responsible. The shelter would definitely been and issue but if she plans to bring something in soon... also I would ask about watering come winter (wether there is a heated waterer).
Good luck!

kitten_Val 07-15-2011 09:17 PM

I couldn't tell from those pics, but where is the fence? Fence is not very cheap (at least reliable one, even for electric you need posts, ropes, charger, etc., all costs money). Also boarding brings very little money as far as I know. If she doesn't have a job how she gets money for the shelter? With as nice as it sounds, I'm not all that positive it'll be what you expect.

tblver 07-15-2011 09:28 PM

In Hillsborough county, I want to say the law is .5 acre per head, so it would be pretty cramped, assuming, if you do ride, that you keep your tack with you at home and just cart it back and forth, and trailer out to ride elsewhere.

I would also expect to have to get round bales after (assuming its only your horse) a few months depending on how big of a grazer he is. The grass looks pretty well kept so it wouldn't last too long.

Daisy25 07-18-2011 07:32 PM

KLN--

If you are currently boarding your horse for FREE...

and getting a group discount on farrier bills...

why in the WORLD would you want to move your horse?