The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   haflinger in the heat. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/haflinger-heat-9195/)

HaflingerCowGirl 05-21-2008 07:22 PM

haflinger in the heat.

So i'm going to be moving doen south and i can only take one horse. I had planned on taking my tennessee walker but i'm thinking about maybe my haflinger. I know in the summers here she doesn't do so well. she sweats very quickly and run out of energy. so my question is do you think it would be cruel to take her? I don't want her to be suffering in the heat all the time.

kickshaw 05-22-2008 09:27 AM

it's not the heat that will get you - - our temps are usually in mid 80s.

it's the humidity. (umm...only like 100% every day till sept/oct!)

if she doesn't handle being hot/sweaty, it might not be the best situation for her :)

HaflingerCowGirl 05-22-2008 10:30 AM

:shock: holy moly thats not going ton be fun to deal with....Shes the older breed of haflinger also, the smaller stocky ones. so i think she would have a pretty hard time there.

Sara 05-22-2008 11:03 AM

Friesians tend to have a similar problem; I've seen horses pulled from a show at the very last minute because the heat just didn't agree with them. Yet there are breeders to be found in North Carolina and even Texas...so I guess some people do it.

ahearn 05-22-2008 11:12 AM

My new Haffie does fine in our heat! It was 95 yesterday with 90% humidity. He is the short stocky kind too. Although his mane is roached so maybe this helps him....???

HaflingerCowGirl 05-23-2008 09:20 PM

Well thanks for all you opinions. I finally decided that i'm taking my haflinger :P And I feel alot better about my choice. I hadn't wanted to sell her. Now I just have to find a home for my other two.

irisheyes12 05-23-2008 10:41 PM

I'm in South Carolina and during the summer I can't work any of the horses in the roundpen because the humidity is so high.

ahearn 05-23-2008 11:16 PM

Irisheyes, I'm in Texas and we work our horse EVERYDAY in the round pen. I am for certain our temps. and humidityare much higher than yours. It's all about the horses getting acculumated (sp?) to their environment. Some do better than others. Are your round pens in the sun? (Not being sarcastic, just a question) Putting them in the shade helps tons!!! It also helps when you need to seclude one away from everyone else and they need shade.

We hose them down sometimes BEFORE working them. It helps to cool them off. Then we hose them down every time after they work. Have NEVER had issues....even in 100 degree 100% humidity weather.

I'm just kind-of shocked by your comment.... How again do wild horses survive the heat? :?

irisheyes12 05-24-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahearn
Irisheyes, I'm in Texas and we work our horse EVERYDAY in the round pen. I am for certain our temps. and humidityare much higher than yours. It's all about the horses getting acculumated (sp?) to their environment. Some do better than others. Are your round pens in the sun? (Not being sarcastic, just a question) Putting them in the shade helps tons!!! It also helps when you need to seclude one away from everyone else and they need shade.

We hose them down sometimes BEFORE working them. It helps to cool them off. Then we hose them down every time after they work. Have NEVER had issues....even in 100 degree 100% humidity weather.

I'm just kind-of shocked by your comment.... How again do wild horses survive the heat? :?

Actually, our temps and humidity are comparable if not higher than yours believe it or not. It's one of those to each his own situations when it comes to temps though. It's close to 90 today with 73% humidity. I would not ride today because it's so humid, you might. :)

ahearn 05-24-2008 03:19 PM

Yep, 96 right now. Not sure of the humidity but I know it's hot,hot,hot. We just got off the trails where we rode for about 3 hours.. All 3 horses did fine. Again it's about what they are use to! So, basically what you are saying is that you don't ride or work your horses in the summer? Just a little confused....