The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Having a hard time with saddles please help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/having-hard-time-saddles-please-help-92005/)

slingshot 07-16-2011 09:21 AM

Having a hard time with saddles please help

Hello all i just purchased a horse three week ago but have just rode a few times do to saddle fit i have been going through saddles like junk mail lol .Can some one please suggest a saddle. my horse is 14.3 hands high. he has high narrow withers and also has a short back.I am having a very hard time fitting him
. I have been told semi qh bars and full qh bars .please help..thanks

corinowalk 07-16-2011 09:23 AM

A SQHB saddle (6-6.5" gullet) with a rounded skirt should work. Barrel saddles and trail saddles are usually equipped for the short backs.

DejaVu 07-16-2011 11:14 PM

I would try out a saddle with Arabian bars.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 07-17-2011 06:04 PM

I agree with DejaVu. An arabian tree is made for a horse with higher withers and usually broad shoulders. I had an arab/saddlebred gelding that was almost impossible to fit a saddle to. The only saddles that fit him were Aussie saddles (because of the stuffed panels and the high withers clearance) and my friend's $1200 western saddle with arab bars. If you can't find a saddle with arab bars or it isn't within your price range, FQH (full quarterhorse) bars will work if it has enough clearance under the pommel. Look for saddles with a high arc under the pommel (where the horse's withers would go). Anything that is fairly straight across the bottom of the pommel won't work at all. I found that a lot of synthetic saddles have a decent amount of withers clearance.

Here's a site with a HUGE selection of saddles (I'm actually quite impressed by their selection!): http://www.saddleonline.com/?gclid=C...FQQmbAodgCQwyQ

Golden Horse 07-17-2011 06:33 PM

I personally would not shop at saddleonline.com, they do have a huge selection, but unfortunately is is cheap carp for the most part. Maybe they do have some nicer stuff but it has never come up when I have been looking.

WhoaNow 07-17-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingshot (Post 1098950)
Hello all i just purchased a horse three week ago but have just rode a few times do to saddle fit i have been going through saddles like junk mail lol .
Can some one please suggest a saddle. my horse is 14.3 hands high.
he has high narrow withers and also has a short back.
I am having a very hard time fitting him.
I have been told semi qh bars and full qh bars .please help..thanks

I assume you are looking for a western saddle?

As far as semi/ vs /full QH bars, I would opt for the full QH bars,
and use pads/blanket to fill in the space for better fit.
It also depends on your budget, better quality saddles cost more.
If its brand new, and under $500, its probably cheaply made.

Go to a tack shop and look at nice saddles, TexTan, Circle Y, Dale Chavaz,
Tucker, Billy Cook (these are all western saddle makers),
and then compare their quality to the cheaper saddles.
At least you will be able to see, and feel the difference.

Then, you can shop around for a good saddle at a good price.
I'd rather have a good, used, saddle, than a cheaply made, new, saddle.

JMO
Good luck and keep us posted on your search:wink:

slingshot 07-18-2011 10:09 AM

thanks guy's and gal's

Thanks for all the info I;m still looking for a saddle I also did not mention it but he also has deep hollows behind his shoulders and his back is down hill if anybody else wants to chime in it would be appreciated he needs a saddle I want to ride thanks....Dan

WhoaNow 07-18-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingshot (Post 1100971)
Thanks for all the info I;m still looking for a saddle
I also did not mention it but he also has deep hollows behind his
shoulders and his back is down hill if anybody else wants to chime in

it would be appreciated
he needs a saddle I want to ride thanks....Dan

You can build up, and level, areas with pads,.., saddle pads, pommel pads, etc..
Probably/could be your 'best bet' with this type horse.

JMO

GallopingGrape 07-20-2011 04:50 PM

Perhaps one of these:
16" Circle Y Synthetic Saddle
or
14" The American Saddle, Quarter Horse Bars
or
Circle Y Synthetic Western Saddle
or
Dakota Walker Trail Flex

Saddlebag 07-22-2011 12:05 AM

You have to be careful with padding that the saddle not wind up floating up on to the shoulder blades. If the saddle floats and crawls, one is inclined to cinch tighter, compressing the padding. To prevent crawling you may need either a crupper or breeching to hold the saddle back. Then a riser pad for under the front may help. A downhill back will make the rider feel pitched forward regardless of saddle.