The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Should I color test both siblings? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/should-i-color-test-both-siblings-92018/)

Indyhorse 07-16-2011 11:35 AM

Should I color test both siblings?

So I am getting stuff together to color test my two youngsters, maybe Freyja, and also Stiffler.

Should I bother to test BOTH Fiona and Finn, or just one of them? (doing the combo red/back and agouti on them) They are full siblings. Same dam, same sire. They appear to be essentially the same color. Fiona is lighter than Finn right now (her yearling year, his 2 year old year) but Fiona also shed out much earlier this year than Finn did, and so has had more exposure/sun bleaching in her summer coat. It's also been suggested to me to test the dam, Freyja, for a possible cream. As to that, her mane is mostly black, her tail is mostly white, does it matter at all which I select from? I suspect not but thought I should confirm before sending them off.

Anyways, so that's looking at 4 potential tests to send off, it adds up, considering none will be bred and this is just to satisfy my own curiosity. :lol:

Just trying to decide if it is worth testing both Finn and Fiona, or is I should just test one of the two and assume the other sibling is the same? Advice from those who have done this before?

NdAppy 07-16-2011 11:57 AM

Never done it myself, but what you could do it test one now and test the other later if you wanted to test both. If you're testing the foals I wouldn't worry about testing the mare. :-) not unless you get something really funky back for their tests, if that makes sense. Are you going to test either Finn or Fiona for cream as well or just red/black and agouti?

Indyhorse 07-16-2011 12:11 PM

I was figuring on testing Freyja for the cream, but I guess it makes more sense to just test one of the kiddos for the cream instead, and have to send in less samples. Duh! lol See that's why I posted this, I knew there were things I wasn't thinking of. So maybe I'll just test Finn, for red/black, agouti, and cream all together. Not going to bother with the sabino1 test. I'm pretty certain there is some form of sabino there anyways. Will the red/black/agouti tell if if the results are he's brown, or is that something separate?

What should I be testing for with Stiffler? Same combination?

NdAppy 07-16-2011 12:32 PM

No clue who/what Stiffler is :lol: Sorry. :(

On the agouti test, no it will not tell brown. There is only one place that test for brown and they only test for brown. If Finn comes back as having agouti and you want to test for brown you need to go here - Pet DNA Services of AZ - Equine Services And yeah, I would skip the SB1 test. All that would tell you is whether or not Finn had SB1 or not.

Indyhorse 07-16-2011 12:39 PM

Oops, sorry, for some reason I was thinking I was still posting on the same thread about Stiffler. He's my friend's QH, on this thread: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colo...houlder-91813/
I assume I would be doing the same tests, including for cream, with him.

Okay, so I will test Finn first and depending on the results, then test for brown after? Makes sense. Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it. I appreciate the help!

NdAppy 07-16-2011 12:55 PM

Derp. Ok yeah I know who Stiffler is. Sorry still half-asleep I think :lol: And yeah I would do red/black, agouti and cream for Stiffler if that is possible.

Indyhorse 07-16-2011 01:00 PM

Okay, will do. Thanks so much for answering all my tons of questions! :D

NdAppy 07-16-2011 01:04 PM

Not a problem! you are going to share the results right? :D I hope so anyways!