The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ever have a face-palm moment with your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ever-have-face-palm-moment-your-92041/)

Mickey4793 07-16-2011 04:22 PM

Ever have a face-palm moment with your horse?

Today, I was taking my horse out to grass as a reward for how well he did in our show yesterday, I put on his halter and led him out of his stall, only to realize I had left his stall guard clipped up as he's doing the limbo underneath it. He's 16.2 hands, he's well enough taller than the guard. I guess I just forgot to unclip it, I was incredibly tired from 3 hours of sleep. My mom said it probably massaged his back. Luckily for me, he was calm as a cucumber and just slinked underneath it like, "YEAH, anddd?"

I felt horrible after that, I felt very stupid. My jaw was just hanging and I face-palmed. I can't believe I did that.

Someone please share their less than brilliant horse stories here, so I feel less of a dope.

Stakie 07-16-2011 06:52 PM

A couple weeks ago I tacked up my horse and forgot my helmet. I won't get on any horse without it. So I put a lead on him that I thought was tied around a pole near a step. I went and got my helmet but forgot to check if it was attached. When I came back Ziggy was about two feet from where I had put him just munching on some grass. I felt so stupid! He could have ran across the field!

Golden Horse 07-16-2011 07:07 PM

:lol: Good topic

My most recent one, Wombat our youngest foal comes up the the barn every day while I work with his mum. At first I just let him wander around while I was getting her ready, but now he is learning to tie on the next post along like a big boy.

Anyway yesterday I tacked Destiny up, and set off towards the round pen calling for Wombat to follow like I always do. Then I hear him calling, turn round and the poor little boy was still tied up.

Note to self, remember that you have to untie Wombat and lead him along with Momma now.

tinyliny 07-16-2011 07:25 PM

I have done that. And, udoing the main cinch before the flank cinch and then trying to pull the saddle off when the flank cinch is still tight, so just pulling the saddle off to one side. Good thing Mac is tolerant of that.

Saddlebag 07-16-2011 08:47 PM

My farrier ducked under the dutch door in the barn. The lower door is 4' high. With my horse on a lead he ducked under the upper door and the horse followed suit. When I asked the farrier what he was doing, he looked back amazed that the horse hadn't ripped the upper door off it's hinges. Only once did I forget to undo the breatcollar and tried removing the saddle.

Tennessee 07-16-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1099429)
I have done that. And, udoing the main cinch before the flank cinch and then trying to pull the saddle off when the flank cinch is still tight, so just pulling the saddle off to one side. Good thing Mac is tolerant of that.

I've done that, except my horse started bucking. lol.

Mickey4793 07-16-2011 09:04 PM

Hahaha, some of these are funny. Glad I'm not the only one who's had silly moments.

I had another one yesterday when I left my horses stall guard down as he ate his lunch, I went out to get my own, came back and got my scores from my dressage test, when I found out we placed fourth I went quickly back to the barn to tell him how great he was. When I got to the barn I saw every single hay bale that was stacked next to his stall thrown all over the aisle and he was standing there like "What ma, I ate all of mine!"

blue eyed pony 07-17-2011 04:30 AM

hahaha ummm, gotten down to the front paddock to bring Monty in for a ride and realised I'd forgotten my halter. Usually not a big deal, I'd lead him by his mane, but the gate out of the property was open. So, feeling like a COMPLETE idiot, off I go to find my halter... back to the house, not there, out to the shed, not there, through the gate to get to the lane to the back paddock and - ohhhh, THERE it is!

Bandy 07-17-2011 04:42 AM

i cant think of recent things but if my shetland when i was three wasnt secured she would follow you and the weeks shopping into the house up the back stairs.

ummm. if the colt wasnt on a halter and lead when i was riding out o the property he would race along like a dog following its master lol

serafina 07-17-2011 08:14 AM

Needed to put the horse in the ties for a saddle change and realized just as I was about to do it that I was trying to clip the ties onto the rings of his snaffle...having forgotten that I hadn't changed it out yet for a halter. It wouldn't have been so bad (since I didn't actually clip this up) but I had an audience - still smacking self in head for that one...