The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Fly spray & alternatives. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/fly-spray-alternatives-92064/)

Stakie 07-16-2011 10:17 PM

Fly spray & alternatives.

I would like to know what all of you use. I am trying out new stuff to keep off the flys,ticks, and anything else that might want to bite Ziggy.

What spray or other do you use?
What are the benefits?
What does it smell like?
Can it hurt the horses eyes?
How long does it last you?
What sizes does it come in?

Anything else you can think to tell me!

I found a horse spray at K-mart I really want to try out. I also use a spray that makes the horses coat shinier and smoother but has the benefits of fly spray. (Just flys though)

Shasta1981 07-18-2011 11:58 PM

Are you looking for a natural alternative or just curious what everyone is using?

Stakie 07-19-2011 12:39 AM

General, I would like to know what others were using. I only have one horse but I would like to try a few different things. My first will be a local brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stakie 07-19-2011 03:14 PM

I went to go pick up some flyspray at our agway because they supposedly had the same stuff as the Kmart. However I got there and they had that bronco stuff.. but not liquid net.

LetAGrlShowU 07-19-2011 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=Stakie;1099515]
What spray or other do you use?
What are the benefits?
What does it smell like?
Can it hurt the horses eyes?
How long does it last you?
What sizes does it come in?

QUOTE]

I have used Ultrashield and horse & pony spray.
Ultrashield worked better, but i am not impressed with either
Both smell ok, ultrashield smells better
I would assume it would hurt their eyes, and i am careeful when i spray their manes, and i spray it into my hand and rub it on their ears
A regular spray bottle last me... 2 months ( i spray once or twice a week)
Comes in the regular spray bottle and gallon bottles- though both are somewhat expensive

goneriding 07-19-2011 03:36 PM

I still prefer Repel x concentrate. I've tried several sprays and for me it works the best. It comes in a roll on for around their eyes.

Horse Fly Spray Ingredients: pyrethrin, PyGanic, prallethrin, piperonyl butoxide technical, resmethrin, permethrin, cypermethrin, Di-n-propyl Isocinchomeronate, cedar oil, citronella, clove stem, corn mint oil, Butoxy polypropylene glycol, lemon gras

Shasta1981 07-19-2011 03:51 PM

Im currently using Bite Free. It smells nice (like a dryer sheet) and does a decent job of keeping bugs away. It also has SPF in the formula which is great if you have a gray. I used to mix skin so soft with a lot of my fly sprays which helps with mosquitos. I don't think any fly spray does a good job long term though. I re-apply often and as needed.

Stakie 07-19-2011 03:54 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions and comments! This really helps me in finding some really nice kinds of fly sprays. It also helps me from buying stuff I won't use!

Keep the suggestions coming!

jinxremoving 07-19-2011 04:19 PM

I use Absorbine UltraShield:

UltraShield® EX Insecticide & Repellent – Fly Control – Products – Absorbine

It's definitely one of the more expensive fly sprays on the market but seems to work rather well. I might just make my own after this runs out...

Stakie 07-19-2011 04:21 PM

I would love to hear about it when you do, thank you. =3