The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle gullet measurements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-gullet-measurements-92085/)

DraftyAiresMum 07-17-2011 02:01 AM

English saddle gullet measurements

Okay, so the AP saddle the trainer at our stable had that she was going to let us borrow REALLY doesn't fit Aires. :-| It is way too narrow and just kind of perches on top of his withers (doesn't even make it as far down as his shoulders). So, I'm going to have to find a saddle that will fit him. How do I go about determining what size tree the trainer's AP saddle has on it? I know how to measure a western saddle, but have never done an English saddle. I *think* the saddle we were going to use has a wide tree because it is definitely wider than the other AP saddle she has that fits her arab gelding and my friend's arab mare perfectly and I'm pretty sure that one has a medium tree. So, that would mean Aires probably needs an extra wide tree...or maybe even a draft? How common are they in cheap varieties (it doesn't have to be anything spectacular, just something usable until I can afford to get a really nice saddle later on down the road)?

Thanks!

DraftyAiresMum 07-17-2011 02:50 AM

Found this saddle package on eBay that I REALLY like the looks (and price) of. 18" English AP Jump Saddle Pkg Wide Draft Tree-Brown | eBay
Is there a way I can measure Aires to see if it'll fit him? I know how to do a withers tracing (had to do one on my old gelding because I was going to have an aussie saddle custom fit to him because he was sooooo hard to fit...tall narrow saddlebred withers coupled with broad arab shoulders).

I also like the looks of this saddle package: 18" Brown English Hunt Jump Saddle Draft XL Wide tree | eBay

I don't necessarily need a package, but I like the prices on those and I couldn't find anything on eBay besides a "wide" tree (which I think we already tried and it doesn't fit...I'll know once I measure the gullet on the one we tried).

SaddleDragon 07-17-2011 06:58 AM

Dnt buy a cheap new saddle! Buy a nice used one. Does the narrower one fit your horse? If so measure it at the nailheads and compare to the ones you're looking at. If not, do a wither tracing and take a look here. Used Saddles (PA Store)
Its a great site with LOTS of options.

BTW, I use a med tree Kieffer on my asb's with tall withers. A cutback pommel helps too.

MIEventer 07-17-2011 11:33 AM

I think you need to contact a professional saddle maker/fitter to come to you to help you out with this process. You'll need someone who does this as a profession, to assess your horses back, yourself and will be the one who will beable to say "ok, this is the saddle that could work" "your horse needs this type" "this saddle puts you in a great position" and etc, etc, etc.

Contact a professional :) That's your best possible solution here. You're playing with the health of your horses back here.

ponyjocky 07-17-2011 12:22 PM

Have a saddle fitter measure your horses back and find out what tree size would be best. Do not put one of those no brand ebay saddles on your horses back or i will jump through this computer screen missy.
Try on a bunch of saddles at your stable to the horses back. Google how a english saddle should sit and buy a safe brand of used saddle.

there are always really nice used GOOD brand saddles on ebay under $300

Find out your seat size (very important) and what tree he will need.

DraftyAiresMum 07-17-2011 05:00 PM

Here comes the problem. There are absolutely no saddle fitters in my area. There might be one (they own a saddle shop where they make custom western saddles), but they know absolutely NOTHING about English saddles. The closest saddle fitters are 90+ miles away and would cost me $200+ just to get up here...something I obviously can't afford (obviously since I am looking at $200 tack sets on eBay :-P).

Neither of the saddles the trainer at our stable has fits Aires...not evenly remotely. I'll have to take a pic of them and show you how small they are for him. The part that is supposed to sit on his shoulder literally perches on his withers. There are two other English saddles at the stable (belong to a boarder) and both of them are the same size as the trainer's, so I know they don't fit him. Literally every single other saddle at the stable is a western saddle, with the exception of the trainer's endurance saddle. There is a synthetic western saddle that fits him PERFECTLY (I am pretty good at fitting a western saddle...had a lot of practice with my old gelding), and that I can lift without any problems, that we are going to use for trail rides.

What I really want is a saddle for schooling him in the arena with. I want all the English cues and such to be second nature to him by the time we get to competing in a couple of years (may do some W/T or W/T/C shows in the meantime to get experience and such). There's a lady that comes and overnights at our stable who has a complete Stubben tack set (saddle, bridle, girth, etc) for $400, but I'd be willing to bet it's a medium or maybe medium wide tree. I haven't seen it, but that's basically my luck. I know I need at 17-17.5" seat. The seat on the saddle the trainer was going to loan me was a 17" and it was perfect.

DraftyAiresMum 07-17-2011 05:24 PM

Found this on the site SaddleDragon linked me to. Is an extra-wide tree in between a wide and a draft (I'm guessing it is)? I don't care that it's black...it's just for schooling anyway. Is that a decent brand or is like the eBay "no names"? http://www.saddlesource.com/cons00000841.html

SaddleDragon 07-18-2011 07:58 AM

Never heard of it.
Im not sure what one, but one of the used tack sites have you do a wither tracing and send it in. Then they can compare what they have with the tracings. That is a thought.
I understand that getting a saddle fitter is best, but some places just dont have one and some just cant justify or afford to pay someone for it. I cant, but then again, I collect tack and always have options. LOL

DraftyAiresMum 07-18-2011 10:20 AM

I just got extremely lucky! Found an ad on Craigslist for a bunch of English tack, so I emailed the lady and told her what I needed. Turns out her saddles were bought to fit a Percheron cross and a few large warmbloods! So, she thinks they'll fit Aires really well. She has two: a decent-quality no name saddle that would make a great schooling saddle and another one that is a really nice handmade saddle. I'm emailing her back to ask prices, so hopefully ONE of them will be in my price range, even if it is the no name. They both have the correct size seat as well! Talk about luck!

nherridge 09-27-2012 01:28 PM

Are you still looking for a wide English saddle?