The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane and Tail growth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-tail-growth-92109/)

Airshine 07-17-2011 01:02 PM

Mane and Tail growth

Not sure where to put this but what can I do to increase the length of my colts mane n tail? Any special shampoos that helps? thanks!

eqkidd 07-17-2011 04:22 PM

Wash it/condition, let it dry, apply detangler and leave in conditioner, then braid it. You can put the tail in a tailbag or vet wrap. This is what I do to my Arab show horse and his tail drags like a foot on the ground and it's THICK.

raywonk 07-17-2011 04:32 PM

MTG I love it.

ipal01 07-18-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airshine (Post 1100065)
Not sure where to put this but what can I do to increase the length of my colts mane n tail? Any special shampoos that helps? thanks!

I'm not certain there is much you can do about that. I think it depends on their pedigree. I have a yearling that is going to have a very long mane, not certain about the tail yet. Both sire and **** have long ones. Then I have others that are thick and wavy and so on. Everyone is different. My little spotted mare has a beautiful mane and foreloc is short??? Don't figure. Hope you can find something that works. http://forum.horseville.com/images/smilies/neutral.gif

MHFoundation Quarters 07-18-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raywonk (Post 1100255)
MTG I love it.

I second MTG. Great stuff! I've been using it on my yearling filly, her tail is only about 6 inches from the ground now & her mane is past her shoulder :D

MyLittleHunter 07-18-2011 11:05 AM

MTG has worked wonders on my show gelding. I started using it over the winter and now his tail is so long and thick, I love it! It smells funny, but works really well. lol

aestofferahn 07-18-2011 11:39 AM

MTG is the way to go, smells like charcoal, but it really works... I had to roach my mare's mane last spring, and I put that on her everyother day at the roots and it grew out in no time! Good luck!

CHenderson 07-19-2011 11:42 AM

I use MTG and coat/hair moisturizer, and I brush out my gelding's tail every day. Brushing stimulates the follicles, and promotes new growth. To protect what's already grown, braid it and put it in a tail bag!

equiniphile 07-19-2011 04:07 PM

MTG. Smells like bacon, but works like a dream. Braid the horse's mane and tail loosely every week.

wild_spot 07-19-2011 04:54 PM

I'm the opposite of everyone :]

I don't brush the tail ever unless it has been washed and conditioned.

I don't keep it braided because if they catch it on anything it will rip out big chunks instead of a few strands.

I don't use any sprays etc. that contain silicone.

I wash the tail when I wash my horse. Shampoo, condition, brush out.

I either leave it out natural or I use a tail bag that attaches to my rugs so I don't have to braid it, and if the tail bag gets caught it just un-velcros from the rug, it doesn't pull the tail.