The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Jumping paso fino at a corto or largo? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/jumping-paso-fino-corto-largo-92111/)

Soberanaforever 07-17-2011 01:48 PM

Jumping paso fino at a corto or largo?

Is it possible for me to jump my paso fino mare at the paso gait? Not a walk trot or canter! But a corto or largo?? Thanks!! :lol:

Aviara 07-20-2011 07:41 PM

You may be able to build up a horse's gait enough to clear the jump, but technically, no, it is not possible. Here's why.
When you watch a horse go over a jump, they are essentially taking a big, emphasized canter stride and using the momentum to clear the jump. Even if you gait your horse up to the jump, he will be forced to take a modified canter stride to "jump" over it. Just like a horse who is asked to jump at the walk or at a slow trot, he may build up enough momentum to clear the jump at the last second, but it is neither healthy for his legs or good horsemanship to ask for this. Even if you trot a horse over a jump, you may notice that if they jump the fence well and are not trained to perfection, they will generally take at least one canter stride upon landing. The horse is essentially forced to briefly pick up the canter over the jump.
Furthermore, because of the more exotic positioning required of the Paso gaits, the horse would be very unprepared for jumping moving like this, and therefore would be very unbalanced over fences.
Why can't you just jump him at the canter? This would be much easier on him, and on you as well, and result in much more fluid jumping and a far happier relationship!

churumbeque 07-20-2011 07:57 PM

well how big of a jump are you talking. A small log on the trail? Yes

Soberanaforever 07-21-2011 04:43 PM

Aviara: thank you, that was very helpful! And no, I can't at a canter because I compete with her and cantering would mes up her gate, or so I was told... What about a pole on the ground? Would that work?

Churumbeque: thank you, that was also helpful :)