The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rodeo (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/)
-   -   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/roping-92128/)

PoniBoy 07-17-2011 05:03 PM

Roping

I am learning to rope. I put a steer head on a sawhorse. I'm standing on a bale of straw to get further up as if I were on my horse. Tell me what you think or have any tips if you know about roping.

Gidget 07-17-2011 05:44 PM

There's my horse!

Bandy 07-17-2011 06:12 PM

im not a roper but it looked good.

PoniBoy 07-18-2011 02:19 AM

Thanks Brandy

Bandy 07-18-2011 03:11 AM

you had a nice loop good swing aim was good, just wait till its a steer running the opposite direction ;)

smrobs 07-18-2011 03:35 AM

It may just be me, but I always have my Dad reminding me to keep my shoulders back and my elbow up. It looks like you might have the same issues as me with hunching a bit and dropping your elbow in the swing.

Other than that, I don't know a ton about proper form and all that but I can tell you that when you get ready to move up to the live cow and horse, you'll definitely need a dang good roping horse to learn off of. Believe me, I know how hard it is to try to learn to rope the same time you are teaching your horse to track a cow and position up.

You can't focus on your swing and release because you are having to keep correcting your horse and you can't keep your horse in the right position because you are focusing on your swing/release and where the cow's at. There is very little in this world that can get frustrating as quickly as that can LOL.

Have you looked around for clinics and stuff in your area? Last I heard, JD Yates was doing some clinics and things around the country. Not much of a horseman but a **** good team roper. Someone who really knows the ins and outs of being a great roper can teach you a whole lot about your position, swing, timing, and release.

Here are a couple of sites that might have some worthwhile information for you.
http://www.teamroper.com/
Team Roping Clinics - NRS Events - National Roper's Supply - Roping, Horsemanship, Barrel Racing, Horse Training Schools/Clinics

PoniBoy 07-30-2011 01:39 AM

Thanks Smrobs. I do need to work on keeping my shoulders back a bit. I tend to lean when I am focusing a lot. There are a couple of places around here than do instruction, only down fall is that they charge a lot, but I guess depending.. you get what you pay for right? I plan to when I have some extra cash

AmazinCaucasian 07-30-2011 02:27 AM

Looks like you've practiced alot! Doing great. Try putting that dummy on the straw and just roping from the ground. It will put you at the correct height . If you're going to rope it on the sawhorse, sit on your horse because that sawhorse dummy is as tall as a steer. It makes a difference. Also always practice like you're on a horse. Your swing and throw looks like you've roped off a horse, but be careful flinging the left hand around while recoiling. That's your rein hand and you may desensitize a good handling horse. That's pretty nit-picky though

PoniBoy 07-30-2011 02:47 AM

I rope it off my horse half of the time. I didn't in the video, but I put a couple of pallets underneath the bale so that way I am more up to height, so yeah me standing on just the bale is like me roping off of a small pony lol. I also place the dummy in a lot of different spots so I am not just stuck roping it in one position, also to work on my reach. Yeah my left arm moves a bit when I am not on my horse, it's more steady when I am on her. I can post a couple more videos of me practicing, and one on my horse. Thanks guys for your input