The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Arabian woes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/arabian-woes-92151/)

SEAmom 07-17-2011 07:45 PM

Arabian woes

I love my little guy - I really do. What I don't love is trying to find tack for him. I'm currently on the search for an inexpensive beater western saddle for getting him started and I'm not having any luck. I have a dressage saddle that fits, but I would MUCH rather use a western saddle. I'm also looking for a better surcingle with more rings on it. There's only one I've found that even halfway fits him with a pad underneath it, and the rings don't go low enough.

Then, there's finding bridles, bits, blankets, boots, etc, etc. It seems like the only way to get exactly what will work is to spend oodles of money and pay almost double from local tack stores. Ugh!

Are there any young Arab owners out there who can relate? If so, what are your solutions?

DancingArabian 07-17-2011 08:02 PM

My tack is in 4 sizes depending on what it is and the brand. I have mostly pony and cob sizes things, Arab specific whenever possible of course and very few horse things. Cob size tends to fit him most often.

Golden Horse 07-17-2011 08:14 PM

:lol: No Arab woes here, I am blessed that when ace came she fit my existing saddles.

The Haflingers though :twisted: they are horrible to fit, I'm currently keeping my fingers crossed that the saddle I have bought from the UK fits her.

Good luck with finding stuff, you may just have to give in and start him in your dressage saddle, if that's what fits him

mysticalhorse 07-17-2011 08:35 PM

Try chicks saddlery . Com i have found a large selection of surcingle and other stuff at grest prices. Its my drool at site : p
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 07-17-2011 08:38 PM

There should be some places that specialize in Arabian/Morgan/other smaller horse show tack. They often have more economy models and training tack as well as show tack.

I think Schnieders might be one of them.

I used to have Arabians too. I think I only had one western saddle that 1/2 way fit them, and it really didn't fit me very well. And all my western breastcollars and headstalls had to have extra holes punched in them. :lol:

PS. You might try gaited horse tack suppliers too. I know some of those Hackneys and such must require smaller tack.

SEAmom 07-17-2011 08:54 PM

I do use Schneider's - that's where his blankets and coolers come from - but even their arabian tack is still too big for him, lol. I guess it doesn't help much that he's egyptian and thus more petite than the average polish/spanish type, which is more common. I'll just have to keep a look out, I guess. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, though.

eqkidd 07-18-2011 12:36 AM

How old is your Arab?
I have the same problem with my Arab who is also Eqyptian. Schneiders is where I get almost all of my tack, and I get a lot of it at the stores that trailer in to the Arab shows.
What discipline are you doing with him?

SEAmom 07-18-2011 12:07 PM

Mine turned 3 in may. He's still in that awkward stage - thin and leggy.

He'll be a hunter. He's a flat mover, but has a lot of speed. Eventually, I'd like to get into competitive trail riding to see how he does. He can go like an energizer bunny and still have oomph leftover. I swear he has 2 fuel tanks, plus a reserve. We think he may be an endurance horse in the end, but only time will tell.

He hasn't been to any class a shows this year because it was my last 2 quarters in college, and he missed the egyptian event this year because my finals and graduation were the same week. Now that I've moved away from my show transportation, he won't be showing until I find a new ride or buy one of my own.
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 07-18-2011 02:10 PM

I have a hard time fitting my SE mare, too. Schneider's Arabian tack is still a little too big for her! Hmmm, maybe I (or someone) need to start a tack business geared towards smaller Arabians!

SEAmom 07-18-2011 03:07 PM

That's the problem I have with mine, too. He's too small for arabian/cob and too big for pony.
Posted via Mobile Device