The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Its like riding on a broomstick..or jaws... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/its-like-riding-broomstick-jaws-92180/)

FreeDestiny 07-18-2011 12:32 AM

Its like riding on a broomstick..or jaws...

My TB mare has suuuper high pointy withers :P You could probably mistake her for a hairy shark if she were underwater....

Aaanyways, I'm trying to work on my balance and lower leg strength and I really loved bareback riding on my plump little QH, but when I sat on her bareback the other day, she took two steps away from the mounting block and I had to get off, oh the pain. I went back and put on the saddle pad and got on, not much difference, plus it slipped a lot on her lovely groomed back.

It felt a ton better when I sat further back, but I wasn't in the spot I was always told to be in, I swear I was almost in the middle of her back, I felt so stupid.

So my point is, is it okay to sit back a little further than normal to avoid the hoo-ha crushing shark fin withers? I don't ride bareback for more than about 20-30 minutes to finish off our ride. And only once maybe twice a week. Plus if its any help I weigh around 100lbs. So I'm not that big.

Any help would be great ! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-18-2011 03:20 AM

If you are worried about hurting her back, don't. I understand about wanting to avoid big withers on some horses LOL, but the chance that you would be able to hurt her is non-existent, as small as you are. There is absolutely nothing wrong with scooching back just a bit to avoid torture.

FreeDestiny 07-18-2011 09:51 AM

LOL thanks smrobs, its gonna be so much nicer bareback now :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 07-18-2011 07:12 PM

I use a bareback pad with another thick pad under that. I can barely feel that shark fin and still get the benefits for riding without a saddle.

FreeDestiny 07-18-2011 07:15 PM

I wish I owned a bareback pad :( I do have a super thick saddle pad, maybe that will work in tune with sitting a little further back. Thanks guys :)

smrobs 07-18-2011 08:41 PM

My bareback pad is nothing more than a regular thick saddle pad with an overgirth. Works just as well (maybe better) than the ones that are commercial and it was ever so much cheaper.