The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   The Rope. (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/rope-92182/)

Iseul 07-18-2011 01:53 AM

The Rope.

Well..a bit ago I bought a Ranch rope online, and it's just been sitting in the tack room at the barn. It came covered in wax, and it's too stiff to do anything with. I've tried moving it around to break the wax, tossed it around in the dirt, etc. And it's still too stiff to do anything with ;;

Anyone have anything to do with it to get it more supple? Or do I just have to buy another? Do they all come covered in wax? I'm so confused, lol. I can't start practicing if I can't use it :p
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-18-2011 02:52 AM

LOL, yes most ropes come covered in wax. Not sure what the purpose is but the more you use it, the faster the wax wears off. As for the stiffness, there is not a whole lot you can do to make it more supple. Do you remember what the lay was on the rope when you bought it? I've seen them range from H (hard) to XXS (xtra xtra soft) and SS (super soft).

I'm not sure what you are planning to do with it, whether it will just be a practice rope, maybe you are doing some ranch work, or are wanting to get into team roping or breakaway roping, but that will all influence what kind of rope you want.

Personally, I do quite a bit of ranch type work from roping 1000 lb momma cows to baby calves and I have found my favorite rope is the XS Hypnotic by Cactus. The diameter is small enough and it is light weight enough to be comfortable for me. The XS lay gives great flexibility and suppleness to get it underneath those babies that are close to the ground but, being a 4 strand, still has the strength to hold the big ones. The only drawback is that it is only 31' long and doesn't offer a ton of reach on the range.

Iseul 07-18-2011 10:12 AM

I believe the lay was extra soft? I mean..I'm assuming that once the wax actually wears off a little it will become more supple than it is, not like just a thing of rope from the store. :p
It's a 31" ranch rope, 4 strand, and I believe it's extra soft. And it was an off-White when I got it, now it's dust brown xD
But I've bent every part of it, and some of the wax has come off, but if you pick it up, the wax is all over your hand ;; Would soaking it in water possibly help at all?

I'd like to eventually get into ranch work and team roping, but it'll most likely just be used for practice right now, and desensitising horses. I was goin to rope off Dude since he'd lrobaby be better for it than Lucky, but he's lame, and Lucky is about to be sold..so practice until I get a horse. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-18-2011 08:36 PM

I don't think that water would help. I've always just let the wax wear itself off so I don't have any suggestions for getting rid of it.

If the lay is XS, then that is about as soft/supple a rope as you're going to find. It is supposed to have some body so that it will retain it's shape while you're swinging your loop and as it goes around the horns/neck. If it feels like a wet noodle, then it's way too soft and you'll have hell catching anything LOL.

NorthernMama 07-25-2011 09:18 PM

I have found that working a new rope in the heat helps to break it in faster. This from all my vast experience with lariats... ONCE! LOL. But it did work. My son would stand near a fence post regularly trying to lasso that dang post!

PoniBoy 07-30-2011 12:20 AM

the more you use it the more you will break it in.