The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   When to start riding again? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/when-start-riding-again-9224/)

meggymoo 05-22-2008 09:52 AM

When to start riding again?

Hiya,

I was watching Meg in the field yesterday and I must say, I had a huge urge to go and jump on her back and have a plod around the field, with Poppy at foot. But I didnt. :roll:

I know work too soon can affect the milk etc, so when does everyone suggest to start? Would putting a rope on her headcollar and having a steady walk round the field bareback be too soon?

Opinions and suggestions will be much appreciated. :D

Oh forgot to add, Poppy is 7 weeks and 4 days now, almost 2 months, wow its flown! :shock:

Sara 05-22-2008 10:15 AM

I think you are fine to start bringing her back to work as long as you keep an eye out to make sure that she and the foal aren't stressed by the experience. By 2-3 months, the foal should be a little more independent and the mare less protective, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Light work isn't going to effect her milk, just make sure she stays hydrated and keep your sessions short.

Vidaloco 05-24-2008 11:15 PM

We started riding fairly soon after the foals were born. I think it was within 6-8 weeks. I kept a watch on my saddle and timed how long we went out. Only about 10 min. at first, letting them back together to nurse then back out again. Always letting them stay in view of each other. As they got older we would stay out a bit longer. 15 min. then 20 and so on. Just easy riding, a turn around the pasure at a walk, just to keep them in practice. I think it made the weaning process easier on them since they were already used to being seperated.

JustDressageIt 05-25-2008 11:09 AM

I don't think throwing a halter and leadrope on and having a plod around the yard would be bad for her at all - as long as it's not too long :) In fact, it would probably be good for her to go for a little ride

irisheyes12 05-25-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
I don't think throwing a halter and leadrope on and having a plod around the yard would be bad for her at all - as long as it's not too long :) In fact, it would probably be good for her to go for a little ride

I agree. Don't work her, just a smooth walk where baby is in sight and can keep up and she should be ok. It's good exercise.

My2Geldings 05-29-2008 08:02 PM

If you halter break your foal right away, taking both of them out for walks would be great for her and excellent for the foal. Expose him now to the outside world and good practice for leading :D