The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   splint boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/splint-boots-92315/)

horsegirlxx 07-19-2011 12:47 AM

splint boots

Hi :-)
I was just wondering what are splint boots for ??
My 4 year old bangs his feet against his legs a lot so was just wondering what would be best for him -- front and back ??

Thyme 07-19-2011 12:56 AM

That depends is he hitting his front legs or hind legs? They also have fetlock boots, my horse wears hind fetlock boots becuase he "weaves" his back legs and will hit his ankles together. Also, if he is hitting his back legs up on his front ankles you could go for bell boots.

horsegirlxx 07-19-2011 03:56 AM

he is hitting his hind feet against his front feet . . . I also recently found a scratch on him its round and has scraped the hair off so its just skin there that on his front leg and I dont know how he got it also on his hind foot he has a scar which he did when he was younger by cutting it on the fence and I dont want to risk anymore injuries to both of these

jody111 07-19-2011 05:10 AM

Where abouts on the front leg is it... I put bell boots on my young one as she over reaches and has been know to take a chunk off her heel... she also wears splint/exercise boots as shes always bashing her legs... if shes green and still learning her balance I would boot up myself...

kitten_Val 07-19-2011 02:22 PM

I always use on front ones in ring, when do little jumping - all 4 in.

DejaVu 07-19-2011 08:51 PM

I always keep all four legs protected, even for just a hack around the property. You never know whats going to happen.

When you have a horse that's definitely brushing somewhere, depending on where they hit, either bell boots or some splint/tendon boots would be a good idea. If their brushing in the pastern area, then polo wraps with bell boots can protect that as well.
Posted via Mobile Device