The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   How to prepare and feed pollard? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/how-prepare-feed-pollard-92327/)

Day Mares 07-19-2011 04:51 AM

How to prepare and feed pollard?

1 Attachment(s)
So my friend gave me a bag of pollard today and I forgot to ask her how to feed it. It looks kinda fine to me and I'm wondering if I should mix it with water?

She gave me the pollard for riding her son's pony (pictured below) and the sweet looking little thing chucked me on the clay after cantering sideways up the driveway - now I know why my friend suggested a saddle, it would have helped me stay on. :D

Neither pony nor rider was harmed, just my pride :oops:

Annnie31 07-19-2011 07:20 AM

Isnt Pollard Pig Feed? Never heard of feeding it to horses.

Day Mares 07-19-2011 07:58 AM

Is pollard pig food?

Oh dear, I hope not.:-(

I know she also feeds it to her cows. Will look into it a bit more before I start feeding it to my mares though.

Any other comments on feeding pollard to horses... please?

HowClever 07-19-2011 08:37 AM

You can feed pollard to horses, but it is pretty much useless.

When I fed it I just mixed in to a damp feed to reduce the dust. However, having done research and learnt more about feeding horses I would never feed it again. It holds little to no nutritional value. Far better products available.

Day Mares 07-22-2011 06:34 AM

Update on pollard as horse food

1 Attachment(s)
I've talked to my friend about it and investigated a bit more myself and have decided that it can be fed to horses...

I will open the bag and see how my mares like it as soon as it stops raining. It seems I can also feed it to my goat and chooks (in fact it is used to fatten farm animals).

It it is sold as a budget "all stock feed" and in no way constitutes a complete or indeed desirable horse feed and yet... It suits me as my two are out on a large, lush and varied pasture 24/7 and I only use their feed to give them their supplements.

Half their hard feed is soy pellets (like Speedibeet) and the other half will be pollard soon but has been rolled barley before now, with apple, carrot, garlic and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

I'll post again when I've tried them on it.

Cheers

Day Mares 08-20-2011 08:12 AM

I've been feeding the horses pollard for about a month now. Long enough to know I don't like it. I really wanted to but I don't.:oops: