The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Wanting to start trainin (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/wanting-start-trainin-92346/)

Skittlenatt 07-19-2011 10:29 AM

Wanting to start trainin

Since I re-trained my cob, I've been dying to get another one to train, but can't afford it. Is there anyway around the cost of buying another horse,but still training?

natisha 07-19-2011 10:39 AM

Yes, you could train someone else's horse for money. Be real sure of your skill level before taking on that venture though.

Or volunteer your training services at a rescue. They can always use the help & it will help place the horses in new homes.

LetAGrlShowU 07-19-2011 11:04 AM

I love Natisha's idea of the horse rescue. I know most of that is volunteer work but it will allow you to work with all types of levels of horses and can even give you a good name in the horse area, then you can go in later saying "I have trained x number of horses ranging from this to that" and charge for it when worknig with someone elses animals. also you'd be helping rescue's find homes, which is a major plus.

HollyLolly 07-19-2011 05:34 PM

I agree with Natisha too. A horse rescue would be a great way to work with a range of horses, test out your own strengths (and weaknesses, if any - everybody has some, we're only human) and help you to grow as a trainer. Once you have established a good name for yourself, you can train people's horses for a bit of money. Also, if you do train at a rescue, there might be one horse that you get a particular bond with, and you may just have to make a small donation to buy it (solving the money issue of buying another, your need to train, and the rescue's need to rehome)

natisha 07-19-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyLolly (Post 1103369)
I agree with Natisha too. A horse rescue would be a great way to work with a range of horses, test out your own strengths (and weaknesses, if any - everybody has some, we're only human) and help you to grow as a trainer. Once you have established a good name for yourself, you can train people's horses for a bit of money. Also, if you do train at a rescue, there might be one horse that you get a particular bond with, and you may just have to make a small donation to buy it (solving the money issue of buying another, your need to train, and the rescue's need to rehome)

Win-win all around.:-)

momo3boys 08-03-2011 07:55 PM

SKittle, if you lived close to me I would have to perfect option!

Skittlenatt 08-07-2011 07:18 AM

The rescue idea is great, but the closest rescue centre to here is Cambridge which is an hour drive away and I wouldn't be able to afford the petrol. Haha.
Momoboys, where abouts are you? =]
Posted via Mobile Device

momo3boys 08-07-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittlenatt (Post 1127729)
The rescue idea is great, but the closest rescue centre to here is Cambridge which is an hour drive away and I wouldn't be able to afford the petrol. Haha.
Momoboys, where abouts are you? =]
Posted via Mobile Device

Western mass, near Northampton. I have a 3yo gelding that I have started but needs more work. You could practice on him!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skittlenatt 08-07-2011 04:04 PM

Only problem Is that I'm in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire =p
Posted via Mobile Device

momo3boys 08-07-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittlenatt (Post 1128180)
Only problem Is that I'm in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire =p
Posted via Mobile Device

HAHA, I take it that you meant Cambridge England? There is a Huntington, and Cambridge MA too!