The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Horses trailered in stock trailer?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/horses-trailered-stock-trailer-92351/)

loveOTTBs 07-19-2011 11:40 AM

Horses trailered in stock trailer??

Looking to bring a horse home from the racetrack. For one time transportation can a horse be transported in a stock trailer? The drive is approx 3 hrs. Thanks!

Speed Racer 07-19-2011 11:46 AM

Are you talking a stock trailer like the ones used for cattle, or a stock combination trailer that is used primarily for horses?

Regular stock trailers don't tend to be tall enough for horses, because cattle are much shorter and don't hold their heads as high as horses due to the way they're built.

If you're bringing a horse home from the racetrack, I can presume it's either a Standardbred or a Thoroughbred, both breeds which tend to be tall. A livestock trailer isn't suitable for either of those breeds.

loveOTTBs 07-19-2011 11:58 AM

It is a thoroughbred yes. 15.2hh. A man actually answered an ad I placed for horse transportation. He didn't specify which type of stock trailer. I will get more info from him. So a combination stock trailer is horses or other types of livestock? Thanks :)

Speed Racer 07-19-2011 12:00 PM

Good idea, please find out what type of trailer. If he's a reputable transporter, he'll have the correct type of trailer for your horse.

Congrats on the TB, by the way. I have an ex-racer, myself. Also 15.2 h. :D

gigem88 07-19-2011 12:51 PM

I see people hauling horses in cattle trailers all the time down here. Most horses are 15.2 to 16 hands.

Speed Racer 07-19-2011 12:53 PM

Gigem, just because people do it doesn't mean it's good or even comfortable for the horses. There's a reason they make different types of stock trailers. I'd rather haul my horse in a trailer made specifically to haul his species.

kitten_Val 07-19-2011 02:39 PM

As long as it's "horse" stock trailer it's not an issue. I hauled mine for several years. :wink: My neighbor borrowed mine to move her OTTB (15'3) home. Definitely not a big deal.

equiniphile 07-19-2011 03:19 PM

My stock trailer is more of a horse trailer, it has a divider and butt/chest bars, and is 7' high. This type is okay, but a long, short stock trailer might not be the safest for a horse.

gigem88 07-19-2011 04:32 PM

Don't have to be so snooty, speed racer. Obviously, the horses I saw were working horses and undoubtedly a lot tougher than yours! LOL I doubt a few hours in a cattle trailer will do irreparable damage to a horse. I prefer my 3H slant, but if I had to use a cattle trailer I would do it, as long as the floors are solid and the structure is sound.

heartprints62 07-19-2011 05:16 PM

I haul in a combo stock trailer. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's 6ft wide and 6.5ft tall. My 15.3hh quarter horses fit comfortably. I hauled a 16hh TB for a friend once (3 hour trip one way) and he ducked a tiny bit to see out the slant windows but he fit comfortably as well!

CONGRATS on the new horsey! =)