The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Digestive Supplement (SmartDigest Ultra) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/digestive-supplement-smartdigest-ultra-92365/)

MyGracie 07-19-2011 03:12 PM

Digestive Supplement (SmartDigest Ultra)

I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative feelings towards digestive supplements?

I am looking at starting my 3 year old thoroughbred on SmartDigest Ultra from SmartPak.

I've only had her for about a month and so far have not noticed any digestive problems other than very occasional loose stool. She is a bit underweight, but has been putting on weight well. She currently gets 2 lbs 10-10 and 1 lb Nutrena XTN: twice daily, along with free choice hay, and 24 hour grazing availability. I wanted to put her on it as more of a preventative. It is supposed to help with fecal sand output, hindgut health, etc.

Does anyone have any experience they can share with me regarding digestive supplements? Thanks for any help!

Zimpatico 07-19-2011 03:15 PM

My guy was on Succeed for quite some time, due to hindgut problems and very runny liquid preceeding his manure. I decided to try the SmartDigest Ultra as an alternative to save a couple of $$ each month. He's been on it for about 3-4 months now and it seems to be working every bit as well as the Succeed.

If she's not having any digestive trouble, a simpler supplement like Probios might be more appropriate if you just want to keep her system functioning well.

Beauseant 07-22-2011 03:10 AM

I LOVE SmartDigest. We use the regular stuff, not the Ultra, on our OTTB, who was emaciated and had a body score of two:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture270.jpg

a year later he is now so plump he is constantly mistaken for an Appendix.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/SANY0002.jpg

I credit the SmartDigest with his remarkable weight gain...especially since he gained most of his weight while on dry lot due to space issues at our ex barn. And with only getting 3 lbs of Strategy.

I highly reccomend SmartDigest

WildAcreFarms 07-22-2011 11:08 PM

I'm using it on my skinny OTTB. had her for about 90 days nothing else put weight on her and in desperation i tried the smart gut ultra and cool calories. her transformation is AMAZING. she has gone from a 3 or 3.5 to a 4 in only about a month. so i'd say is definitely helps.

Beauseant 07-23-2011 11:48 AM

wildacre, been meaning to ask how your girl is doing...

IT takes time to see dramatic results, but keep us posted.

MIEventer 07-23-2011 11:55 AM

My TB Gelding has been on SmartDigest Ultra for over 2 years now, and I'll continue to keep him on it as long as I can. He does very well with it, it helps keep his system running regularily and as efficiantly as possible.

Two Thumbs Up!

WildAcreFarms 07-24-2011 12:01 AM

my girl is picking up weight so fast i swear every day i think i can see a difference. i know that could not be possible but it sure seems that way. my mother came over hadn't seen her in a FEW WEEKS AND couldn't believe how much weight she had gained. I started feeding her Alfalfa hay too about the past week and a half so that could be contributing to her weight gain. but I'd say the smart pack in WELL worth the $$ spent especially for hard keeping OTTBs.

Beauseant 07-24-2011 12:32 AM

FANTASTIC news, wildacre!!!!!:-)

What are you going to do if she gets TOO plump and people start thinking she's an Appendix???:-o:-o

I'm glad that you found something that works for her...I KNOW how hard it is to deal with having a skinny horse and people look at you like you aren't feeding her or taking care of her well enough!

heartprints62 07-24-2011 12:34 AM

I have never used SmartDigest, but my favorite supplement for digestion (plus skin, coat, hooves, immune system..... ) is EquiPride. It's an all-in-one supplement. My vet recommends it over all other supplements.

EquiPride? and EquiLix? 1-800-327-9222

MyGracie 07-26-2011 06:06 PM

Thanks for your input everyone! I just got my first set of smartpaks. We are trying the smart digest ultra to keep her running smoothly and also to work on putting on weight, hoping it helps her digest everything more efficiently.