The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Hunter Pace (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/hunter-pace-92372/)

wren 07-19-2011 02:36 PM

Hunter Pace

6 Attachment(s)
This weekend i took my boy to his second hunter pace. I think he loves them!
At the first pace he was a little nervous about the very first jump (white barrels with a rail), but once he got over that he was unstoppable! We were out with about three other horses, all on their first pace. I really figured we would follow one of the mares over since she has the most xc experience. Instead my boy decided to be Mr. Brave and led over everything! We only got one picture that first day (sorry all pics are pretty blurry, might be time for a new camera)
Attachment 70107

This weekend (two weeks later) we had another pace at a different fixture and it was amazing. lots of coops, river crossings, and combinations. We skipped a few (the stone wall was a much for him at this stage), but he still lept everything i pointed him at! After riding a kind of looky jumper last year, i am tickled to death with this guy. Sorry for the blurry pics, but here are a few.
Attachment 70108
Attachment 70109
Attachment 70110
Attachment 70111
Attachment 70112

and speaking of cameras, does anyone have a good recommendation for a point and shoot that will do good action shots in low light? looking for something smaller than a DSLR so i can take it with me on rides.

equiniphile 07-19-2011 02:40 PM

Looks fun!!

MyBoyPuck 07-19-2011 07:56 PM

Hunter paces are soooo fun! That's cool that he wanted to take the lead. Nice pics.

brook48 08-06-2011 01:17 PM

Hey, luv the pics.

wren 08-06-2011 01:41 PM

Thanks guys!
Next pace next weekend here in central Ohio if anyone is bored! :-)
I think they may be my favorite thing to do with my horse.

brook48 08-06-2011 02:39 PM

Sweet. btw could u give me some advice about english i think i might want to do it just because i find my self more of an english rider, and ect, but im not sure.

MyBoyPuck 08-06-2011 03:09 PM

Wow, we don't have hunter paces around here until late September. I kind of like it. Everybody gets into shape in spring, we show in the summer and then goof off and play in the fall!

brook48 08-06-2011 03:42 PM

thanks. cause i trained my horse bareback, i have had a western saddle on him, but i ride with more of an english posture thats what my friends tell me. So i might go with english. :P Do u know any good places that have good english saddles?

wren 08-06-2011 06:06 PM

Yeah, our hunter paces usually start not long after the hunt season is over. There are two hunts nearby and they each sponsor about a pace a month until October or so. I guess there are a ton of paces in the Cleveland area all fall. Fall is the best time to play!
Brook: take a couple of english lessons to see if you like it. :-) then you can find a decent saddle on tack trader or craigslist.

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-08-2011 12:24 PM

FUN!! I love hunter paces! :) Ours start later this month, there's one right around the corner from me on the 28th in Bath, Ohio and I'm so excited!!! We always have such a blast at those, glad you and your horse are having fun!